STILL trying to make a network

AJ25 11:48 12 Mar 2005

Mesh PC came with ASUS Antenna and software already installed for ASUS WLAN

Whatever pert of the software package I run, I get the same message

"there is no wireless LAN card installed"

If this is the case then what is it in the back of the PC on one of the bays, which has a small screw that the Antenna fits on perfectly?

I think I have had some good advice from Felix but it's not working and I think it is related to this issue.

MESH are completely useless and I'm tearing my hair out

FelixTCat 13:29 12 Mar 2005

I'm sorry that you're still having problems. Go into Device Manager and click on Network Adapters and see if your wireless adapter is shown there. See if there are any other entries in Device Manager with a yellow tag.

If there is no wireless adapter shown, it may have become unseated in the slot. Switch off, take the case off and make sure that the card is seated.

The other possibility is that the wireless adapter is built into the chipset. In that case, you may have to load a driver from the CD (or one of them) that came with the pc. From memory, Mesh provide one marked Driver Disk or Drivers. Look on the disk and see if there is a folder that in any way sounds like wireless or network.

AJ25 14:22 12 Mar 2005

OK I put in the recovery CD and by using the install hardware wizard, it seems to be working until it stopped installing the driver as it is apparently not digitally signed as XP compatible.

FelixTCat 14:27 12 Mar 2005

Don't worry about the digital signing. Microsoft charge hardware manufacturers a large sum to test drivers for total compatibility with windows. Since many manufacturers are continually reviewing and upgrading their drivers, they are reluctant to pay Microsoft for every change.

When you see that message, click on Continue Anyway. The installation routine will create a restore point, then install the driver.

AJ25 14:39 12 Mar 2005

I don;t have the option to continue. It just tells me the process will be stopped. I think Windows won't let me do it. I have downloaded the latest drivers from ASUS as well but again windows won't allow it

FelixTCat 14:50 12 Mar 2005

I have never come across that!

There is another process that comes in to play on an Athlon-64 and some new Intel processors when running on XP SP2. There is a hardware check which stops certain programs running if it thinks they may be harmful, called Enhanced Virus Protection. If that is the case you would get an option to add that driver to the list of allowed programs. Is there obviously any such option?

AJ25 14:51 12 Mar 2005

OK I resolved the last problem myself and now drivers are installed so will see what happens now

FelixTCat 15:01 12 Mar 2005

Hope it works for you now.

AJ25 15:25 12 Mar 2005

There was a settin in XP (driver settings) which gave me the choise to be warned or just don't allow. It was set to don't allow.

I am now wireless at last with superb broadband connection from my armchair watching the rugger

Cheers

FelixTCat 16:27 12 Mar 2005

Good for you - glad it's worked out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone