Still stuck!

sarah1980 22:28 30 Dec 2006

Having moved all my iTunes from the C drive to my external hard drive, I then went to "Edit" and "preferences" and then on the "General" tab. clicked "change".

I then selected the E drive (external hard drive) and the folder in which my music is stored on the external drive.

I clicked OK, but the itunes library has not been populated with any of the music files as I would expect, can anyone help??

Thanks

Hertz Van Rentyl 22:41 30 Dec 2006

What's all the edit, preferences and change all about. Is this in some program you have not mentioned.

postie24 22:43 30 Dec 2006

Sorry bit confusing

postie24

sarah1980 22:45 30 Dec 2006

sorry, this is in the iTunes player. (Edit, Preferences, Advanced, General, Change) As per instructions found here click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:50 30 Dec 2006

Can't you do a search for music files and point itunes to the E drive?

sarah1980 22:57 30 Dec 2006

OK, this may just be me being very silly (I'm a beginner, forgive me).

When I moved all my iTunes over to the external hard drive (E: drive), I expected the E drive to appear in the left hand pane and that I would be able to play directly from it, the way I would with my iPod when it is connected.

However, am I correct in thinking that I must copy all the songs back over to the iTunes Library (by going to "File", "add Folder to Library" and then locating the folder on my E drive)?

Because I have now done this and it doesn't seem to have taken up another 3gb of space on my C drive (there are 3gb worth of tunes in the Library).

Hertz Van Rentyl 23:02 30 Dec 2006

Have you looked in documents and settings in case the files have been sent there in error. If you find them make a backup copy and try again making sure the external drive is switched on and you have instructed the software where to place the files.

Hertz Van Rentyl 23:09 30 Dec 2006

You need to create a folder on your external drive as per instructions and then tell the software to place your stuff there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?