still problem with btinternet, domain name&msgtag

palinka 14:17 13 Mar 2011

connection is broadband ; OS is Vista,

I recently moved to btinternet after Pipex left me without an internet connection for 5 weeks (and there was no end in sight).
With Pipex (and with other ISPs years ago) I used a domain name (name@name.org.uk )and I also used MSGTAG which notified me when emails that I sent had been opened.
I want to do the same now that I’m with btinternet, but I’ve encountered all sorts of problems. Today – almost 2 weeks since the move - I can at last send as well as receive emails (inc those via the domain name) BUT I still cannot tag with MSGTAG.
I think the problem is somehow connected to the way in which btinternet has set up my account:
At bt I am name123@btinternet.com and that is set as my default account. That default account also adds what I assume is a reference to my domain name, thus (name) in the From line when I write an e mail.Apparently on arrival emails sent in that way list only my domain name as the sender when they are delivered. (That is what I want , so that is fine). I receive emails sent to the domain name through lastname123.btinternet.com
BUT looking at the mail accounts there is another account - mail@btinternet.com and my domain name is listed there as sender and as reply address but that account does not seem to be used for sending or for receiving. In fact that account appears to be irrelevant except that bt seems to associate my domain name with it.

As msgtag depends on knowing where my emails are sent from (and that is lastname123@btinternet.com ) I can’t help feeling that my msgtag problem is somehow caused by the mail.btinternet.com account.

BT seems to have recognised that there is a problem of some kind because they have sent instructions to avoid getting Error 553 when sending email. I worked through the instructions but there is no change.
I’m sure I’m not alone in this combination of problems and I think I’m more likely to find a solution in this forum than from btinternet.

Advice, please.

palinka 19:49 14 Mar 2011

PRoblem solved, thanks to a btinternet engineer/on-line assistance. To cut a long story short it looks as though btinternet's standard set-up was defeated by my complex arrangements & therefore what should have been set up as 2 accounts had been merged into one. Now that he has sorted that out all my various problems are solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?