Still learning to use Win XP

pj123 15:21 09 Jul 2006

click here

Although I said I have given up I now find myself having to try again.

I have four friends all wanting to switch from Win 98SE to XP, mainly because they all want to use later programs that are not supported by 98SE.

Getting back to my PC, my original Win 98SE hard drive is an 80gb partitioned in to 2 x 40gb

C: has only got my O/S and all my Programs. No problem there as I have all the original install CDs.

D: has all my data/docs/photo's etc on it.

I have connected this drive externally on USB 2 and it shows up in Win Explorer as drive H:

When I click on it nothing happens? Should it not show up as Drives H: and I:

How do I get it to show the contents?

If I take the Win XP drive out and put my original Win 98SE drive back in it shows as C: and D: and everything is still there and working OK.

mgmcc 15:37 09 Jul 2006

With the XP drive installed and the old drive connected by USB, if you go into Disk Management ("Start > Run", type DISKMGMT.MSC and click OK) does the externally connected drive show up as having two partitions and does each have a drive letter?

Marsh Warden © ™ 15:38 09 Jul 2006

Right click on "My Computer" icon on your desktop

Choose "Manage"

Select "Disk Management"

This will show all partitons on all drives connected to your PC

Select the partion you "Cannot see", right click and select "Mark as Active"

Your partition should now be available, also from there you can assign different drive letters to the partitions if youe wish.

pj123 15:45 09 Jul 2006

Thanks. Tried that. The only drive showing is C:

No other drives showing at all.

ade.h 15:46 09 Jul 2006

How big is C: as reported by DM - the original 40GB or the full 80GB?

pj123 16:25 09 Jul 2006

Sorry Guys, I think I have solved it.

I doubled clicked on an Icon in the System Tray that said Safely Remove Hardware.

An install window came up which said, "Found New Hardware - USB Mass Storage"

When it finished I can now see H: and I: in Windows Explorer.

ade.h, the C: drive with XP on is only 20gb. What I want to do is use the 40gb partition on my original win 98se to transfer XP to that, because I don't think 20gb is big enough for XP and all my programs.

woodchip 16:39 09 Jul 2006

You can do it all like 98se as that is what I have done with both my XP desktop and XP Laptop both look like and run more or less as did 98se I also have my main desktop Comp that still runs 98se for my mail and surfing the net, ans all my main work.

Right click on desktop properties and set your desktop and windows just as 98se

Just posted this in your other link also

woodchip 16:42 09 Jul 2006

If it's a USB Hard Drive you not need to go to Manage. The drive as to be set as Master for XP to see the drive. Then when you plug it in, it will load the drivers for it. Then go to Explorer down at the bottom of the tree you will see your drive, but different letters

woodchip 16:43 09 Jul 2006

Did not see your last post

ade.h 16:45 09 Jul 2006

Sorry, pj; where I said C, I actually meant the C partition of the other disk, so I should have said H.
Academic now that you've got it sorted though!

pj123 12:13 11 Jul 2006

Just tried again and back to square one!

Have tried a few different things and found that if the external drive is connected before booting the computer everything is OK. If it is not connected and I try to connect after booting it doesn't find it.

I have 3 external drives and would like to "hot swap" them as when they are required. But it seems I have to uninstall one and then shut down and install the next one and then reboot?

Is that normal?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?