STILL having a problem with OE

palinka 21:54 10 Feb 2007

Desktop & laptop , sharing a BB connection for several years without problem. Suddenly problem with OE. I can access internet via IE on both machines AND use OE normally on the laptop (running XP). I can SEND emails via OE on desktop (running Me)but cannot receive - instead there's an error message:
"The server responded with an error. Account: 'pop.dsl.pipex.com', Server: 'pop.dsl.pipex.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90."
or this message "The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.dsl.pipex.com', Server: 'smtp.dsl.pipex.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 7362, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E". Can't recall which of these 2 I receive when, but one appears when i try to update AVG. I also use Mailwasher and MSGTAG.
Fortnight ago had reverse problem - I could receive, but not send in OE. Cured it by setting outgoing mail SMTP to Localhost on both machines and all has been well for over a week. Now for some inexplicable reason I've got thios reverse problem.

p;3 22:08 10 Feb 2007

of interest, have you updated AVG today and rebooted?

palinka 22:20 10 Feb 2007

No, haven't been able to connect to AVG today or yesterday - last time I could was on thurs; didn't reboot because it was late so was switching off anyway & going to bed. Now I wonder.... is there a connection there? Switched on again next day (Fri)and all seemed normal.

palinka 22:39 10 Feb 2007

when I try to update AVG I get "Server attempt of connection establishment No1". Then the same but "...No2". The "opening connection" followed by the first 2 again, and finally an error message "the POP server is not responding appropriately.Ensure that you have specified the address of a POP server".

palinka 22:40 10 Feb 2007

oops, sorry - third sentence should read THEN "opening connection"..etc

STREETWORK 22:47 10 Feb 2007

Check in the mail properties for the accounts in Tools, Accounts from OE.

on 'Connections' tab see if its set to connect using LAN, if not select it.

p;3 23:41 10 Feb 2007

how do you do your avg updating?

palinka 09:06 11 Feb 2007

STREETWORK, those settings are OK.
p;3, it's set to do it automatically at a particular time each day, but I also click the "check for updates" button on a daily basis - that's what I did on Thurs and then closed down overight. The OE problem started after that, but it hadn't occurred to me , until you asked the question, that there might be a connction between the 2 events.

p;3 12:05 11 Feb 2007

as the most recent update was very large compared with the usual gubbins click here, it wodul not surprise ME to know that some machines ARE playing up ; you do need to do a thorough reboot and even
(with mine on win98se) a scan disc and defragment to help it along; are you still having problems?and there has been another small update this am too!!

if things ARE playing up you could always try a system restore to a few days ago and try the large avg update again?

palinka 18:04 11 Feb 2007

thanks, I'd thought of doing that, then discovered I don't have a restore point anywhere near the time I need. In fact not even within January. (Me doesn't auto create them as XP does).

Yes, still having problems, so I'll run scan disk, defrag, etc, etc and then delete AVG and replace it with a clean copy.
Thank goodness the laptop is working fine.

p;3 23:41 11 Feb 2007

any luck with this yet?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires