Sticking screen???

AdventCalendar 14:06 27 Jan 2003

Hi,

A mate of mine is having a few probs with his PC,

when he is trying to run any programmes from the hard drive [ie norton, pc doctor, scan disk, defrag] the screen keeps freezing.

He has re-installed to original factory settingas but this seems to have done nothing.

It also sticks when he is trying to install software.

The memory left on the PC is 87%, and when the screen sticks he has to turn it off, but it wont let him boot it back up until 5-10 mins later??

any ideas???

he's at the end of his tether. It has just come out of warranty.

cheers, i know you lot can help him.

A/C

AdventCalendar 13:10 29 Jan 2003

Its only happening on programmes/software that needs to run for a few minutes.

eg, its ok on word, or office, but anything that takes a couple of minutes such as norton, or defrag it sticks!

he doesnt know abou the internet as it wont let him load the IE software from the disc cos that freezes after a couple of minutes too.

If it is the over heating - what can be done to rectify it?

cheers

AC

Gongoozler 14:31 29 Jan 2003

AdventCalendar, I am now even more convinced that this is a hard drive overheating problem. The computer is seizing up whenever the hard drive works hard. Try running the computer with the cover off, and possibly with a fan blowing into it. If it is more reliable that way it will be further evidence that this is an overheating problem.

The hard drive may be mounted in a position where it is heated by another component, or not adequately cooled by any air flow. Repositioning it may help, if there is an alternative fixing position. Eventually you may find that the only solution is a new hard drive. If the computer is just out of warranty, the hard drive may still be covered by its own makers warrenty, these are often for 3 years. I am absolutely confident that the problem is not software related. Software has no knowledge of how long a computer has been turned off!

Djohn 15:18 29 Jan 2003

I agree with Gongoozler, if you look at my first post, this is also my first thought, and must be looked into Immediately!

My only doubt is the fact it works ok on programs but not with any that are CPU intensive.

Also ask your friend to check how many programs are running, by holding down, Ctrl/Alt/Del, keys at the same time. This will inform us how much is going on in the backgroud. J.

AdventCalendar 16:16 29 Jan 2003

thanks, youve been superb...

I will ask him, and then will report back with the findings....

cheers again

AdventCalendar 10:52 30 Jan 2003

Hi,

He said it done run slightly longer with the cover off, and he almost was able to finish a defrag, before it stuck.

This would now suggest Heat related probs, as you both rightly said :-)

what options would he have open to him?

change the hard drive?

AdventCalendar 14:09 30 Jan 2003

^^^^^^

Djohn 14:19 30 Jan 2003

AdventCalendar, Hi, until Gongoozler can see this thread and answer, I think before anything new is bought, you need to find what is causing the overheating problem.

If it is down to the H/Drive, then replacing it with a new one, (without curing the problem), then the new one may also fail.

AdventCalendar 14:22 30 Jan 2003

good point mate.....

Looking at the set up, its not positioned near anything that could be helping with the over heating, and the fan is right near it, and is working fine with no blockages???

Djohn 14:34 30 Jan 2003

Advent, if you can see the H/Drive itself, then gently touch the top of it, (after taking precautions for static) and see if you can leave your fingers there in comfort! it will be quite warm but should not be so hot that you can't keep your fingers on it.

Gongoozler 15:35 30 Jan 2003

AdventCalendar, proving that the hard drive is faulty without actually replacing it is tricky. I would suggest that now it is almost certain that it is overheating, unscrew it from its bracket and position it somewhere convenient either resting on the computer chassis or on a book as an insulator, but with the power and ide cables still connected. Then start the computer and keep cool air flowing over the drive. If you can keep the drive working this way it will effectively confirm that the problem is due to the drive overheating. However, the fact that this problem has only recently occurred suggests that if it is due to the drive getting hot, then the drive is actually failing. Replacing the drive will lose all the data on it, so make sure that everything of any importance is backed up and that your friend has all the software that has been installed on the computer.

Even if the computer is out of warranty, then assuming it is just over one year old, it is not reasonable for it to fail in that short time, so it could be worth trying to get the supplier to replace the drive. Also, as I said earlier, many drives carry a manufacturers 3 year warranty, so that could be an option. Otherwise, hard drives start at about £50 from Dabs or Ebuyer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?