Static Wrist Strap - Where To Fasten

DN14 13:58 16 Jul 2003

This may seen a daft question but I am new to exchanging PC components and as per magazine advice I have purchased a static wrist strap. The magazine said follow the instructions that come with the strap when using it. However, the strap does not have any instructions without. The question I would like to ask is how do I use it, I guess it needs connecting to something that is earthed such as the central heating system. The question is do you clip it to the painted part of a radiator or the bare metal of the supply pipe??

jimv7 14:03 16 Jul 2003

To your wrist and the metal body of your computer, after making sure you have earthed yourself by touching the radiator, or leave the mains plug in the computer making sure that it is 'TURNED OFF' and touch the metal body.

graham√ 14:12 16 Jul 2003

Oh, don't start all this again! DON'T leave the mains plug in unless you are an electrician and you connected the earth system in your house yourself! Otherwise you don't know what it's connected to (the radiator? a live wire?)

Apart from that, as jimv7.

BillEmm 14:42 16 Jul 2003

but I'm going to repeat it - in memory of a young engineer who is no longer with us who, unbeknown to himself, had a poorly insulated, mains connected, instrument in one hand while he rested his other hand on a radiator. Well, he is resting now OK!

The earth strap must only be connected to the PC 'chassis' earth. It is important that the body is at the same potential as the PC chassis - not the house or any other earth.

Connect the strap to a suitable metalic point on the PSU or case and lay both hands on the power supply area for several seconds to 'noramlise' the body with the PC chassis.

Another word of caution: if you don't know what you are doing then get a professional to do it.

Diemmess 16:32 16 Jul 2003

Sound electrical sense in these postings.............just a crumb of comfort to add.........

The pukka wrist strap has a very high resistance which while it earths a high static voltage, will not pass suffient current to allow any damage to the wearer.

That is why "just any old piece of wire" might be deadly.

jimv7 16:53 16 Jul 2003

I stand corrected, don't leave the mains plug in.

woodchip 17:04 16 Jul 2003

On new motherboards power is still at the motherboard even when computer is switched of, so the removal of plug also applies when upgrading hardware i.e. plugging pci cards and memory etc in.

keith-236785 18:46 16 Jul 2003

question, what use is an earth strap if it isnt connected to the earth wire in your socket.

the correct setup is

LEAVE THE COMPUTER PLUGGED INTO THE WALL SOCKET

TURN OFF THE SWITCH ON THE WALL SOCKET

The earth wire is still connected in the plug and will discharge any static.

touch the bare metal of the case to discharge any static you might have, then wearing your wrist strap, do whatever you need to do. try to avoid Nylon Carpets (full of static).

anyone disagree or agree with me cos DN14 needs to know for certain before diving in.

good luck mate, just be carefull not to touch any of the actual chips on ANYTHING wrist strap or not. handle parts with the edges and you will be OK.

Meshuga 18:59 16 Jul 2003

Care should also be taken regarding touching radiators for earthing since plastic piping
is being used a lot these days and there is no
earth continuity in that. Meshuga.

graham√ 19:38 16 Jul 2003

Have you read this thread? May I ask the source of your 'correct setup'? Man in the pub/at work/computer shop? The 'earth strap' is an anti-static strap. How do you know the switch on the socket turns off the 'live' and not the 'neutral'?

It's advice such as yours, however well-meaning, that is extremely dangerous if the recipient assumes you have professional knowledge and training.

keith-236785 20:55 16 Jul 2003

simple answer, i was trying to help and passed on advice i read in a computer magazine, have you asked where people got the idea of touching a radiator?, Meshuga made a good valid point about that one........

the live wire in uk sockets ALWAYS goes to the Switch, (ask an electrician).

The following is an excert from a web site (click here)

At the very least, you should use an anti-static wrist strap
connected to the bare, unpainted metal of your case?s frame. There are two schools of thought on this subject:
One is to leave your computer plugged in. Any static buildup is discharged along your wrist strap to the computer's case, then through the power cord into the ground receptacle of your electrical outlet.
The second is to unplug your computer. With the wrist strap attached, this should put you and your computer at the same potential charge and no transfer of electrons should take place.
This becomes a decision you have to make for yourself. A lot of books will suggest that the computer remain plugged in, and in fact, the A+ Certification exam considers this the correct choice at this time

so as you see its not the Man in the pub scenario. as i said it is advice i use and was passing on. simple search on google for "anti static strap how they work". nuff said.

hope this helps clear it up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?