State of cartridges indicator

Fishpie 19:03 17 Dec 2007

Using Windows XP,Epson Stylus DX4000 and Epson cartridges, all cartridges continue to be shown as full even after substantial use.Any suggestions please?

Technotiger 19:10 17 Dec 2007

Any deterioration in print quality? If not, I guess all is ok - Epson Status Monitor is usually pretty accurate.

anskyber 19:12 17 Dec 2007

I have a Canon printer. What happens is the status shows full on all cartridges until they are running low, then a low warning pops up. The low warning lasts for some time before the empty warning is displayed.

Diemmess 19:19 17 Dec 2007

I have an old Epson 870.

Though the ink indicator shrinks progressively, I think it is simple arithmetic in the background, just noting the number of sheets and deducting accordingly.

Fishpie 19:24 17 Dec 2007

Mnay thanks for responses. I should have made clear that this is a new development. Up to now the state of the cartridfges has been made clear as they are used. No loss of quality.

Technotiger 19:27 17 Dec 2007

So, I would not be too bothered - different, if quality was bad though.

bluto1 22:16 17 Dec 2007

My printer is a Lexmark and as the cost of cartridges is high (2 Carts = cost of 1 Printer) I bought a programme called Inksaver 2.0. I've not been able to do a complete appraisal of it yet, because the old cartridge that was in when I installed Inksaver is still there and printing good quality photos. I bought it from Serif, a reputable software company, and no, I don't work for them, especially at my age. My gut feeling is that the programme is good and is saving me money. I'll know after I've completely used my next cartridge. Oh, by the way, I've had my new cartridge ready to install for over 6 weeks.

skeletal 22:46 17 Dec 2007

I have the opposite problem with my HP. After printing a few dozen pages it shows empty; I then go on to print loads more perfectly (and I mean loads). Totally useless...I’m glad petrol gauges aren’t that bad! I just keep a cartridge in stock and wait for the print to disappear, change it, and order a couple more cartridges at the same time.

Skeletal

lotvic 01:08 18 Dec 2007

I am gradually disabling the cartridge indicators in turn as each indicator tells me it is 'empty'
I just press okay on the printer and eventually a message comes up to say the indicator is turned off.

The cartridges haven't run out of ink just because the message screen tells you they have. It works on averages of pages printed not the actual ink.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires