StartUps

dandew 09:20 13 May 2010

Trying to compile list for my database of msconfig type data. Problem ios i can not find easy way to save this data for transfer to database on main computer.
Have examined so qamny utilies but they tend to guive more data than i want or different data.
Does anyone know of a free system which i can use.

Have tried ArgenteStartUpManager2.0.2.3.exe
Anvir Task Manager Free 6.3.1
ashampoo_startup_tuner200_fm.exe
Ultimate Startup Manager 1.4.5
Start-Q 1.0
Startup Optimizer 1.6
StartupList 2.02
StartUp Tool 1.3
Starter 5.6.2.9
qssetup
Startup Manager 2.4.2
Startup Inspector for Windows
Xp-Utilities v0.1
Startup Discoverer 1.0
All very good for sure but not suitable.
I am collecting data from XP and Vista at present.

I repair computers for friends and family and am accumulation data on systems for reference.

Can anyone help.

rawprawn 10:38 13 May 2010

WinPatrol will give you a lot of information, but if you upgrade to WinPatrol Plus it will give you all you need to know.
I would not be without it as it does a lot more than monitor Start ups.
click here

dandew 11:09 13 May 2010

Thanks rawprawn

I have used WinPatrol free and find it very good.
However, for my needs I want to gather info from other comps , preferable without installing software. Some of the above listed software will gather the data without install.
Plan to gather data on other computer, save to pen disk and insert in my database, on my main cptr. This may be possible with Winpatrol, legally, but I am not sure.
Problem is i want very little data relative to most data offered by the listed probrams.

There could be a much simpler method, afterall i can see what i need on screen with msconfig, if i could save this to a pendisk this would be fine.

Rahere 12:12 13 May 2010

it may be overkill, because you say you want just start up items but SIW System Information for Windows is a free system info tool that allows you to save the reports in many formats home page click here

Not sure now I have downloaded it, if this covers startup but would be surprised if it does not, it's very comprehensive!

Alternatively you could screen print each PC and OCR/type up later...

dandew 12:42 13 May 2010

Thanks Rahere

have used SIW, too much data, no clear list of startups.

Have been using nPrintscreen, paste to Paint and cut&paste to word, all very cumbersone but it does work. Looking for easier method.
Dis not think of the OCR idea , this would ease job but still cumbersome.

Thanks

dandew 12:42 13 May 2010

Thanks Rahere

have used SIW, too much data, no clear list of startups.

Have been using nPrintscreen, paste to Paint and cut&paste to word, all very cumbersone but it does work. Looking for easier method.
Dis not think of the OCR idea , this would ease job but still cumbersome.

Thanks

Rahere 12:44 13 May 2010

Another good tool from Mark Russinovitch - click here the data you need is under Login - this tool shows you how complicated bringing together startup items can be!

I too wish there was a simple script to get a report without all the chaff!

dandew 13:05 13 May 2010

Thanks Rahere
Tried SysInternals AutoRuns tool. Again no easy save, could copy&save each item into excel for later transfer. This is better than printScreen method. However the services section gives too much data.

There must be an easier way ???

Thanks

dandew 13:05 13 May 2010

Thanks Rahere
Tried SysInternals AutoRuns tool. Again no easy save, could copy&save each item into excel for later transfer. This is better than printScreen method. However the services section gives too much data.

There must be an easier way ???

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017