"startup.exe" shortcut problem

twitcher 13:57 30 May 2005

I am just setting up a new computer and wish to run the utility “shutdown.exe” from a shortcut on my desktop. I have installed the utility at C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Shutdown.exe. I can run the utility via the Command Prompt by typing C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Shutdown –s (where “ –s” is the “standby” switch) but when I try to set up a shortcut using the same command I get a message that the file cannot be found. I tried “C:\.....\Shutdown.exe -s” with the same result. What am I doing wrong? I followed the instructions on the web at click here

ACOLYTE 14:02 30 May 2005

Im not sure but can you not open the folder where the exe file is then rightclick and send to desktop this will make a short cut then right click the shortcut and in the target folder part add the -s part to the end?,i also dont know if the -s part needs to be outside the quotes,others with more knowledge will probably help more.

twitcher 14:30 30 May 2005

Tried that but it doesn't work. When I try to open the file nothing happens. The only way I can open it is via the Command Prompt.

ACOLYTE 14:34 30 May 2005

Perhaps its because of where you installed it to? maybe putting it in c/program files may help.

Joe R 14:48 30 May 2005

twitcher,

this is an old posting of mine. I still have the same desktop icons.

click here

stalion 14:49 30 May 2005
  twitcher 18:00 30 May 2005

Thanks for all your help. After reading the various articles and a bit of trial and error, I relocated the shutdown.exe utility directly into the C:\ root directory. For the shortcut all I needed was C:\shutdown –u for a complete shutdown, C:\shutdown –s for standby and C:\shutdown –r for restart. Problem sorted!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?