Startup taking ages

Rob6 13:08 17 Jan 2010

Hi
I have Windows XP and my start up takes nearly four and a half minutes before I see my desk top.

I think I have TWO different problems:

1) Between turning the computer on and the XP logo with the 'time conveyor belt' showing takes 70 secs!

2)That XP logo stays on for 35 secs, then the XP blue 'welcome' screen for another 35 secs and then my desktop wallpaper appears BUT it takes a further 130 secs!! for my desktop toolbar etc to appear and I can get productive.

Any help would be sooo welcomed.

peter99co 13:52 17 Jan 2010

Run msconfig and click startup tab. This will show you what is starting up. If you hide the essential windows programs you can possibly see some you can disable.

Take care! do not disable too many. Wait for expert help if you are uncertain which you can remove. Check this link for more help

click here

OTT_B 14:01 17 Jan 2010

Also unplug all unneccessary hardware to see if anything is slowing you down (e.g. a printer, for example).

The msconfig startup options peter99co has suggested will almost certinaly speed the time it takes to get the toolbar up. As a brief experiment, i'd try booting without your AV programme running and see if that makes a difference.

Jollyjohn 17:25 17 Jan 2010

Have a look at the icons in the bottom left corner. These are applications that have started when windows starts. This will give you a guide to what you can disable in msconfig.
I have only Zonealarm and avg running at start up.

Rob6 21:04 18 Jan 2010

Thanks for the advice.

I have worked out that one of the issues was my external hard drive - by disconnecting it the switch on to XP logo with the 'time conveyor belt' showing went from 70 to 15 secs.

My 130 sec problem (from desk top appearing to tool bar and short cuts appearing) I'm still stumped on though. I removed EVERYTHING from start up and it is still taking 130 secs. Any other thoughts?

OTT_B 21:11 18 Jan 2010

look at the Services that are loading with XP (these can be independant of the msconfig startup items).

Start menu - Run - services.msc

Disable all services that are required to run unneccessary hardware, software and parts of the operating system. Reboot and see what happens.

Rob6 21:21 18 Jan 2010

Jeez! there must be 30 to 40 listed. I'm not sure where to start.

Not sure of this is relevant but having taken everything off my start up I opened windows task manager and there are c.30 processes showing. Most taking up zero CPU capacity, a few ticking over at 2 - 3% and one, 'System Idle Process', running at 90 to 95%

Jollyjohn 08:48 20 Jan 2010

Computer specs would help, especially how much RAM is installed?

Rob6 18:26 20 Jan 2010

Jollyjohn - good point :)
AMD2800+, 60GB drive 50% full, 750MB RAM

As suggested above I have also run Malware and applied CCleaner, and defraged.

Rob6 18:53 22 Jan 2010

Very odd! I implemented the 'remove welcome screen' above and as well as that section being quicker the 130 secs referred to above shrank to 3 secs! So it is fixed but I'm frustrated at not knowing what was fixed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017