Startup Program- drastic action!

gel 14:06 14 Aug 2010

Hi
I am anxious to speed up my start up
If I untick all the boxes listed in startup programs using 'msconfig' what is the worse that can happen to my computer, assuming that Microsoft Securiy Essentials and Windows firewall continues?

Thank you
gel

birdface 14:16 14 Aug 2010

I would imagine if you use a wireless connection you would have to keep that in start up.

johndrew 14:44 14 Aug 2010

You may also want your AV and anti-spyware, plus other items such as McAfee SiteAdvisor, if you use it.

Or to put it another way, if you disabled everything, you may not be able to access the internet, you may not be secure and some software may not run as expected when started. Using msconfig as a blunt instrument is OK if you intend to start other software from, say, CD or if you are trouble shooting, but to expect your PC to work as you expect it to you need to be very selective in what you disable.

Perhaps you might be wise to look here for a more refined option click here

tullie 14:49 14 Aug 2010

Asv long as your av and firewall remain ticked,no problem.

gel 14:49 14 Aug 2010

Thank you very much .
The click here option is most helpful
I shall pursue
Cheers
gel

BurrWalnut 15:05 14 Aug 2010

Reduce the number of programs that start up when you switch on the computer by downloading and installing the free Quick Startup. Not only does it check for the necessity of startup programs but it can identify ‘nasties‘. Get it click here

To disable (recommended action) an entry, remove the tick alongside its name. To delete an entry from the list (it doesn't uninstall anything), highlight it and click Delete in the left pane.

If you are unsure about an entry and want to know more about it, highlight it and then click ‘More information’ at the bottom of the screen.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:02 14 Aug 2010

Quick startup comes bundled with a couple of toolbar add ons you definitely could do without as they will slow your browser an send info back about your browsing habits.
So make sure if you download Quick startups DO NOT tick the Accept licence and install the toolbar add ons.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?