Startup problem Windows ME

Ricktos 17:23 31 May 2003

My PC was recently giving me some trouble crashing alot, etc, so I gave it a re-install of my version of Windows me. At the part where the setup program searches for PnP devices it slowed down and took a lot longer than I expect a 500Mhz machine with 128Mb of RAM to take. But this isn't the real problem. The computer from restart loads fine displaying the normal screens until it gets to the part where it says "Verifying DMI Pool Data..." , please note this is displayed in the DOS screen. Here the computer continues to load but the screen stays the same except for the blinking cursor underneath the above message. I know that the computer it's self loads into windows because it stops after a while as if finished loading, then responds to F1 help commands and the Ctrl-Alt-Del command has to be done twice for the computer to reload. All the while still displaying the same dos screen. I have tried using another monitor, reattaching the display card, checked all wires but nothing makes a difference. When I hold F8 while the computer loads I can get into Safe mode and the screen appears here but otherwise I still get that same DOS screen. Can somebody please shed some much needed light on the problem!!!

jazzypop 17:49 31 May 2003
  Ricktos 16:19 03 Jun 2003

Thanks for the site, I hope one of the solutions sorts the offending computer out! I haven't been able to try them yet but if they work then I'll resolve it using the pc in question. Only thing is the computer doesn't stop all together. As I say it continues to load into windows but the screen just stops. Anyone who may have an answer would still be appreciated for the time being.

jazzypop 20:19 03 Jun 2003

Maybe the PC cannot re-initialise the display from 'DOS' to 'Windows' mode?

As you can boot to Safe Mode (where your graphics card driver is bypassed), this could simply be a corrupted graphics driver.

See if there is an updated version available, try to install / update from within Safe Mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone