Startup problem again (out of blue)

gazmix 11:59 14 Apr 2010

Hi

Last night & for the last 6 months have been ok (since having xp reinstalled).

This morning i turned pc on & it kept looping into reboot with the following message!:-

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

This has happened for no reason as i haven't added/removed any programmes or tinkered with anything.
I've tried system restore, but nothing! It works properly 1 out of 5 attempts!
Could it be microsoft updates that are needed as my settings are to ask before download & install?

Pineman100 12:25 14 Apr 2010

I should do as recommended and choose Last Known Good Configuration.

gazmix 12:50 14 Apr 2010

i have many times & it still goes no further than the Windows XP logo then reboots back doing all the same again!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:52 14 Apr 2010

Will it boot to safe mode? could be a corrupt driver.

If not then you need to do a repair install

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

gazmix 14:50 15 Apr 2010

Fruit Bat
Hi & thanks, i will attempt safe mode & get back to you although today there hasn't been a problem which to me seems to say its temperamental, was wondering if it could be as i've not had pc running as often over the last few weeks, i.e. days between operation!!

I don't have an XP CD!! i bought the pc with XP installed & when i had a problem last year & had XP reinstalled, i took my pc back to the shop!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:28 15 Apr 2010

Make yourself a disk

click here

gazmix 16:32 17 Apr 2010

phhew, how complicated does that look :(, i haven't got anything that i'd need like a cd writer etc!

rdave13 16:42 17 Apr 2010

I have a redundant copy of Windows XP home edition (2002) with SP2. (OEM). It's only collecting dust and if it's the same version as you have I'd gladly send it to you if you want. Cost of postage only. If you're interested contact me via yellow envelope.

lister_infiji 17:03 17 Apr 2010

XP OEM discs don't always have the repair installation option (don't ask me why, seems quite random). For instance, my XP OEM SP2 Pro and Dell XP OEM SP2 Pro CDs do not offer this option, while my XP OEM SP3 Pro does offer it. Not sure about my XP OEM SP2 Home or HP XP OEM SP3 Pro CDs as I don't think I've ever tried with those two.

Also there is always the possibility of a problem with a core Windows file, or alternatively issues within the filesystem.

For Windows core files:
1.) Boot into safe mode
2.) Start -> run
3.) Type: sfc /scannow

For a disk check:
1.) Boot from the Windows CD (yes you'll need it for this one)
2.) Do choose the option to repair with the recovery console.
3.) Enter your administrator password when rompted.
4.) Type the command: chkdsk /p
5.) When done type 'exit' to restart the PC.

I find with corrupted installations, about half the time this latter method resolves it without having to go as far as a repair install. I will agree though that the repair install is the most assured method of success.

gazmix 12:42 21 Apr 2010

Thanks rdave, i mailed you via the yellow envelope!

This happened worse last night.

I'm not sure what happened, but i restarted pc & it wouldn't start again properly & i was getting the 'Sorry for the inconvenience... ' black screen after the windows xp logo & i heard the pc reboot noise, like a ssshhhh, i then see the Compaq screen with options to press F10 OR F12 & then it goes straight back to the 'Sorry for inconvenience, windows failed to start properly' screen!! with the options.

I manually turned off pc, left it for a few hours & then turned on & it went straight to the 'Sorry for inconvenience' screen!

I can start in Safe Mode though!!

Because it says on the screen that it maybe due to a recent hardware or software change, i cleaned my cache & history using CCleaner & then turned pc off & then on again & it started!!

I'm sure its something that is taking place on startup, like a programme that is affecting startup!!
what does the starting in safemode & sfc scannow do & will i get results i can post here?

just don't wanna turn off pc now as i'm aware it may not start again!
I think the last time i had the problem, i found it to be this!!
Any ideas appreciated!

gazmix 12:43 21 Apr 2010

p.s. my version is XP Pro

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?