Startup problem

07allenm 14:19 03 Apr 2007

Fromwhen the compututer is turned on you can a see an unusual pattern that runs all the way down the screen during booting and it does not go off, and when we get to the welcome screen the pattern remains and when we go to try and click a user account the computer freezes but we still have mouse control then after a few seconds the scren goes off

johndrew 15:24 03 Apr 2007

If the `pattern` is coloured stripes, it may be a memory problem. Try re-seating the memory modules.

Turn the PC off and switch off at the mains and ensure you have touched the PC frame before you remove the memory or you may damage it with static from your body.

07allenm 15:27 03 Apr 2007

The pattern is like a small pixelated diaginal line that is repeated down the screen then next to it is a solid line, a large space, then the same pattern is repeated and the colour is the same in all the patterns

xania 15:44 03 Apr 2007

This does sound like a possible graphics problem. Make sure that your graphics card is firmly fixed in your PC. Then try changing the graphics setting (right click anywhere on the screen where there's no icon etc, then <properties><settings>) and reduce the screen resolution. Also check you have the most up-to-date drivers for your graphics card.

07allenm 15:46 03 Apr 2007

i cannot log on to my computer as when the welcome screen shows and i hover over a user account picture the computer freezes and after a few seconds the monitor goes off

johndrew 16:21 03 Apr 2007

Try starting in `Safe Mode` and let us know what happens.

07allenm 16:21 03 Apr 2007

how do i get it into safe mode?

07allenm 19:46 03 Apr 2007

I cant get my computer into safe mode. i have followed instructions from microsoft to press f8 on booting and when i try it nothing happens

VoG II 19:47 03 Apr 2007
  07allenm 19:49 03 Apr 2007

Thanks for that but i cannot get onto windows to do that as the computer freezes and shuts off when i even hover over a user accound picture

VoG II 19:54 03 Apr 2007

Sorry - I should have re-read your original post.

The trick with F8 is to keep tapping it after starting, before the Windows startup screen loads.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone