startup problem :(

willymagic 22:38 09 Dec 2005

hi, somethings really bugging me, first thing in the morning when i turn on my computer it loads up with just the wallpaper showing and no desktop items, just the mouse arrow and you cant do anything, then if you turn the computer off and then turn it straight back on again hey presto it boots up fine and the desktop icons are there!! this happens everytime i switch the machine on, needs to boot up twice before everything works! sooooooooooo anoying!

if anyone has any suggestions how i might be able to fix this i would be extremely grateful, i have already tried system restore but no luck, im using windows xp!

thanks in advance. willy

keith-236785 22:48 09 Dec 2005

you could try pressing F5 to refresh the screen but i doubt it would work, it sounds like the boot up is hanging perhaps at the welcome sound or maybe the explorer is having conflicts (not internet explorer).

maybe you need to flash the bios (but i would use this as a last resort), i have had occasions when the boot up has not waited for a device to start before it moves to the next one, explorer again i seem to remember and a bios flash has cured the problem but as you may or may not be aware, a bios flash can also cause your pc to fail hence the last resort warning.

you mention system restore, but has this problem always been there, or just lately (maybe some software installed/uninstalled has corrupted some system files, then it would pay to run system file checker (sfc)

click start, run, and type

sfc /scannow

note the space after sfc, you will need your winxp cd in the drive (or restore disc). If the sfc finishes without warnings then all was found to be ok and you would need to look elsewhere if the symptoms persist.

good luck

willymagic 23:14 09 Dec 2005

thanks paperman.. just ran sfc /scannow but still no joy, its only the last month this has started hapening but even restore wont remove it.. i can live with it but its just bloody annoying! thanks

keith-236785 21:56 11 Dec 2005

bump

keith-236785 21:56 11 Dec 2005

bump

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:58 11 Dec 2005

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?