startup problem

sinbad1 20:42 16 Apr 2004

hi.
Recently I have had a startup problem evrerything is fine windows loads but all i have is my desktop no icons and no taskbar.
my os is xp home 2.6ghz with 120g hard drive and512 memory.
The only way to get the icons and taskbar is to
restore my computer(even the latest restore point)
Its ok as long as idon't restart or shut down.
Any of you guys any idea of what could be wrong
Roy

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:47 16 Apr 2004

Go to Control Panel (Classic view), and 2x click on Taskbar and Start Menu icon. In the Properties page that appears, under Taskbar Appearance, if you have a check mark next to Auto Hide, uncheck it. Or, if you don't have a check mark, click to check it. Click on OK, and see if the Taskbar is back.

click here and ESPECIALLY this one......click here

G

sinbad1 14:06 17 Apr 2004

Thanks G but not able to create new user account, computer management(local) list, does not show local users and groups. However I did create a new user from windows and this was fine exept that all my personal programmes were not there. One of the programmes i had installed recently was ashampoo uninstaller pro so i decided to remove the programme. on reboot task bar and icons came back and bootup and windows was much faster. so i can only conclude that the problem was with this programme.
Thanks anyway G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017