startup menu

pat2068 23:39 16 Jun 2003

can anyone tell me what i can take of my startup menu i dont understand what the sites are meaning and i dont know what i should take off thanks mary

Ironman556 23:49 16 Jun 2003

What sites are you referring to?

If you mean what can you remove from the startup tab of msconfig, then you should be safe to remove everything you can identify with programs such as ICQ, MSN Messenger, Real Player. Leave system tray though. If you're not sure what somthing relates to it's best to leave it until you've found out. It's a good idea to leave the virus scanner stuff running too.

Bodi 23:52 16 Jun 2003

with what you remove (untick) if your're not sure about it. Anything to do with Windows, leave well alone eg. sys.scanregw.exe, Rundll32 etc.

If you recognise the program, for instance I have several Creative SBLive programs, disk detector etc in my startup files, you can untick them. Do be careful though.

Hope this helps,

Bodi

Bodi 23:53 16 Jun 2003

Snap Ironman - I am so slow!! Sorry.

Bodi

woodchip 23:56 16 Jun 2003

What like these I can post some more if you want

Microsoft Critical Update Detects and installs critical updates from the Microsoft site. Most users prefer to install these manually.
Microsoft Find Fast This program is unnecessary and troublesome when it is running.
Microsoft Greetings Reminders Are you willing to give up resources to remember Aunt Sadie's birthday? Me either.
Microsoft Office Startup A resource hog and not needed. If quick access to Office is needed, put a shortcut on the desktop. (Some users report that unchecking this item cause difficulty. Bear this in mind if it is removed and performance is degraded.)
Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders See Greetings Reminders, above.
mmtray Places a Music Box Jukebox icon in the task tray. The program works fine without it.

hugh-265156 23:59 16 Jun 2003

if you are refering to msconfig and click here then best advice is as above.leave it alone if you are unsure.

but if you really want to try then just untick one at a time am restart,then run everything for a while and if all is ok then move on.

you can always put the tick back if it causes problems.

Ironman556 00:04 17 Jun 2003

Makes a change for me to post before somone else. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?