Startup items changed and admin rights restricted

karl_armson 10:47 09 Aug 2007

Good Morning PCA Members!

I am using Windows Vista Ultimate with an admin account and yesterday after restarting my computer discovered none of my startup items had loaded. I started TuneUp Startup Manager and saw almost all of my programs were being told to run from their normal locations (for example c:\Program Files\[Program Folder]\[Program]) except they had been changed to -C:\... or -"C:\... so they would not load. I went to open the run command to load the registry editor but was told that the run command was restricted. I tried searching for the registry editor through the start menu’s search box but it failed to find it. I used TuneUp RegistryEditor to remove the dashes from the startup entries.Upon restart, most of my programs came back apart from a few others. I found these with SysInternals Autoruns and changed these as well.

My programs and startup items are now fine. I would like to know what kind of thing (virus, worm, etc.) is likely to change these. I am running Windows Defender with McAfee Total Protection 2007. Can anyone help with the restriction of the run command? Has something blocked it from my user account’s use? I have UAC turned off and have noticed some weird things in my Program Files\Common Files folder. I will Google these later on as they have added something on to the “PATH” thing in System Properties > Environment Variables. Is it normal for a program to do this?

Many thanks,
Karl Armson.

karl_armson 12:00 09 Aug 2007

As far as I can see the only resrictions in place are the disabled run command and two others. I cannot shut down/restart/stand by/hibernate the system unless i log off, and then perform this task from the welcome screen. I also cannot get into task manager. It is not on the Ctrl + Alt + Del screen and if you right-click the taskbar, Task Manager is grayed out.

Please Help!
Karl.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?