Startup Inspector

User-394903 02:22 02 Jan 2006

Hi everyone,

I have downloaded Startup Inspector Win v2 with a view to a quicker startup, but am at a loss as to how I should proceed.

Alongside each listing under the name is a green check mark and alongside each listing under its rating is a red boxed question mark. I don't want to uncheck any boxes if there is the possibility that I am unchecking the wrong boxes, always assuming that I need to uncheck any of the boxes.

Can anyone please help.

I am running WinXP with SP2.

Thank you.

rawprawn 08:35 02 Jan 2006

Just leave it alone,if it has a question mark in "Rating" Look at the bottom left hand corner and you will see what all the red indicators mean.

octal 08:36 02 Jan 2006

I don't use Startup Inspector because I don't use Windows, having said that I've been looking at the screenshot click here and it appears all the red legend information is what has been checked against the database in Startup Inspector and an appropriate legend given to that program at startup. If its not in the database you have to assign a legend yourself and if you want the program to run at startup with the green tick. It looks like everything has a green tick by default, so you can go through and decide what you want at startup.

I think you are correct, if you don't want a program to start when you boot your computer you remove the green tick.

I would definitely leave the 'system required' ones alone, any marked as 'not required' you could probably remove the green tick, don't forget you can always tick them again. If you are not sure of any programs come back here and ask, or even post a screenshot here click here so someone can advise you.

rawprawn 08:38 02 Jan 2006

I should have added that unless it is something you want to get rid of.

User-394903 01:00 23 Jan 2006

Thank you octal and rawprawn for your contribution in relation to the above and sorry for not getting back to you before now.

After going to start/run/msconfig then click startup, all the programs that were check marked I unchecked them, on the basis that if there was no speed up at boot up I could revert back to check marking all that I had uncheck marked earlier. The result being that I can now get connected to the internet a lot quicker than I could before which was anyhing from 4 to 5 mins.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?