Start/Stop problem on computer

oak chip 14:52 03 Dec 2007

I have just started having problems with closing down & booting the computer. On close down, Windows closes, but the compter does not power down. It emits 3 beeps, and keeps on doing this. The only solution is to physically disconnect the power supply. After a "rest" overnight it booted normally, but close down produced the same problem. Now, after a few hours, it will not start up, there is no display on the monitor, and I get the same (repeating) 3 beeps. The computer is a few years old, but has had a new PSU only a year ago. The motherboard is MSI Megatrends MS-6380E, the BIOS is American Megatrends. Any Ideas or help appreciated.

Technotiger 14:58 03 Dec 2007

Hi, 3 beeps is normally a RAM problem and/or a video card problem, so I would say those are the first two things to check. You could do so by removing and re-fitting both.

Technotiger 15:00 03 Dec 2007

If you still have the problem on close-down, instead of removing plug from mains, just hold in the Start button for at least four seconds and the PC should then switch off.

oak chip 16:03 03 Dec 2007

Hi guys, and thanks for your replies. I had read other postings before I put my "sixpennyworth" in as a query. What confused me was the shutdown problem!! Just in case, I did remove and re-fit both RAM and video card boards, clean contacts, and re-install. Boot up now proceeds to the point of the Windows splash screen, but the colours are washed out and very pale. Boot up will go no further. I think it is the graphic card. I had a similar problem when I put extra RAM in a few years ago. On my motherboard the graphic card and RAM are almost touching, and I disturbed the graphic card and got the same result. I think I need a new graphic card!!

Technotiger 16:08 03 Dec 2007

Sounds as if the graphics card may be the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?