starting win98se

BODS 07:32 27 Mar 2006

hi, my pc amd xp1600 runs win98se.512 mem 2x 40gb h/disks dvdrw dvd rom, until 2 days ago worked ok but now at start up goes throu post screen shows win98ogo then dislays a message while initialzing device config pc just hangs at this, anyone have ideas what has caused this

mgmcc 09:13 27 Mar 2006

Try this - immediately after powering on tap the "F8" key until the Boot Menu is displayed and then select the option to boot to "Command Prompt Only". At the C:\> prompt, type:

SCANREG /RESTORE

and press Enter. Select a registry from a date when the PC booted properly and press "R" to restore it. After the restoration you will be prompted to Restart. Press "R" again to restart the PC.

Wak 09:15 27 Mar 2006

I assume you've run the System File Checker??
Go to Start/ Run. Type SFC in the box, click OK.
You may need the Win 98SE CD to replace any corrupt or missing files.

bjh 09:17 27 Mar 2006

Using a Win98 startup disk (available from click here if you don't have one)
boot to the c:\ prompt (you may need to config your BIOS to boot from floppy)

At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore

This will check your registry, and also allow you to restore a previous registry that booted successfully

Hope this helps

woodchip 09:19 27 Mar 2006

To Run SFC the Prompt as to say C:\WINDOWS

woodchip 09:22 27 Mar 2006

PS

SFC.exe resides in C:\Windows\System folder

Stuartli 09:31 27 Mar 2006

SCANREG /RESTORE saved a lot of heartache when I used to use Windows 98SE - great to just pick a previous working point...:-)

By the way have you also installed the final release of the "Unofficial" Windows 98SE Service Pack?

It can be found at:

click here

BODS 09:38 27 Mar 2006

thanks to all who gave advice to above problem, used the scanreg /restore win 98se up and running appears trouble due to avg anti virus prog no longer in use

thanks once again to all

CHAIRLEG 09:53 27 Mar 2006

Noted.

Wak 12:48 27 Mar 2006

Quite right, Woodchip. Obviously, my brain was still in neutral so early on a Monday.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?