starting from scratch

guzzunda 14:29 05 Jan 2011

how do i wipe my computer and reinstall windows ive got problems and dont know how to start.

john bunyan 14:42 05 Jan 2011

Google "Clean Reinstall" and follow advice.
An example:
click here

Before you do I would assemble all your installation discs, and copy all your data (My Documents" etc + e Mail) to a USB HD (do a virus and malware scan on it). Then you can get back the data after the clean reinstall.I hope you have virus and anti malware programmes!

Ian in Northampton 15:22 05 Jan 2011

What john bunyan says - PLUS - hopefully, you have your installation disks, and they have all your drivers on them. If you don't, job one is to get copies of all your drivers and stick them on a CD. I use DriverMax - it works pretty well.

The key, as john bunyan implies, is to make sure you've got copies of everything you'll need later - before you start the reinstall. That's not just all your documents, music, pictures and so on - it's also your favourites and cookies, your email account settings and so on. You could also use the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard.

Reinstalling Windows is fine (God knows, I've had to do it enough times...) but it's like any other task: success lies in the preparation. Once you've found and copied everything you need, the process itself should be pretty simple: boot from your Windows CD (ensure that the CD drive is the first boot device in the BIOS) and follow the on-screen instructions. One of those will involve formatting your hard drive, which is what will take you back to a nice, clean place from which to start.

Good luck!

mooly 16:45 05 Jan 2011

You may have a recovery partition on your HDD that will reinstall it all back to day one. Check the user manual for your pc/laptop

My advice is do a clean install of just windows and make an image of it (Acronis).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?