starting from scratch

Ivor_Monkey 16:16 30 Jul 2003

Is there an easy way of learning web design from the very beginning. For example, project one would be to put a few photos onto a webpage and then to upload to a url.

Taran 19:57 30 Jul 2003

Do you have any dedicated web designing software like FrontPage, Dreamweaver, NetObjects Fusion or similar ?

If not, there are still ways in which you can do things, but it makes it easier for you by far if you have a web editing program installed.

Post again with more information, but in the meantime, you might like to look at these links:

click here

click here

click here

It's also worth mentioning that many high end image editing programs can output web page galleries from your pictures so again, post back with some information about the software you have installed and one of us will try and help further.

Regards

Taran

Andydm 01:07 31 Jul 2003

If you are using FrontPage why not sign up for a LearnDirect course.
The course is all done on line and takes 9 hours (not all in one go). The course is free but there is a £10 admin charge

scotty 11:12 31 Jul 2003

I found this tutorial ideal for starting from scratch - click here

No special software is needed - you can type the commands into notepad. It was enough to take me from knowing zilch about HTML to producing my first homepage.

PurplePenny 12:42 01 Aug 2003

There are several excellent HTML tutorials online. Try Dave's Site, it has interactive tutorials, advice on good web design, notes on CSS, javascript and all sorts of other stuff:

click here

PurplePenny

Gaz 25 19:17 03 Aug 2003

Notepad is free....
It is quite easy once you get a few online websites read up about HTML, etc.

<<Basics>>

Every site starts with:

<HTML>

<HEAD>

<TITLE>My site</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

<H1> HEADER </H1>

</BODY>

</HTML>

---Copy from <HTML> to </HTML into notepad and save as all files, myfistpage.html

See the results in IE.

You can then go on to changing backgrounds using CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) or HTML.

Alignment, and even add Javascript features such as the ones from click here

Good luck.

Regards, Gareth

PS. You can otherwise use Microsoft word, create a documnet and save as webapge, get free software of Cover disks or the Serif web designer.

Ivor_Monkey 23:33 16 Aug 2003

I've been on holiday, hence the delay. But a big and belated thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.

BTW I am interested in learning the basics from the various tutorials, but have access to FP (at work).

Taran 23:28 17 Aug 2003

FrontPage is an excellent starting point since it is about as easy as it comes (as web editors go) while containing a lot of very powerful and advanced features (if you bother to learn them) coupled with loads of tutorials built into the helpfiles.

Hand coding (or hard coding as I call it) is an odious task and although I still do a little bit of tweaking now and then in Notepad I use Dreamweaver, GoLive and FrontPage almost exclusively now, along with one or two others (NetObjects Fusion, Namo Web Editor and the excellent CoffeeCup HTML Editor etc).

Have a go with FrontPage and make sure you look at the code view for your pages when you add or change features. It's arguably one of the better ways to learn HTML code; by looking at what your web editing program produces in design mode you can get your head around the who, what, why and when of it all.

Regards

Taram

Ivor_Monkey 14:32 26 Aug 2003

Taran
Thanks very much for the excellent advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?