Starting problem

s.sparks2003 12:53 14 Dec 2005

Over the last few weeks my computer has developed a bit of an annoying problem. When I go to start it up I press the on button (with me so far?) now normally about 2-3 seconds there should be a beep then the start up procedure followed by another beep in about 5 sec's and after that the windows bit kicks in. That is how it should work however recently I press the on button and I hear the hard drive a spinning (sounds like it has a bit of a stutter) but no start up it just dose not kick in a couple of pushes on the re-start button normally cures it, So any thoughts on the problem?

Oh its cold at night in the office so I’ve stood it on some foam sheet as I thought it might be getting too cold over night. However I left switching the computer on till gone 2 in the afternoon yesterday and I still had to use the restart button so that sort of blew that idea out of the water. (the heating is on from about 8am)

Cheers

Simon

stalion 13:27 14 Dec 2005

are you useing xp?

s.sparks2003 13:58 14 Dec 2005

Yep.

stalion 14:00 14 Dec 2005

you should only get one beep on boot up you may have a problem with your boot sector try a repair.Go here and scroll down to repair boot sector click here

woodchip 14:59 14 Dec 2005

PSU on it's last legs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?