starting computer - internet dialling starts auto

terryp96 20:56 28 Aug 2003

Hi am running Evesham 1.4 Windows ME, everytime I switch computer on the internet dialling starts automatically. I have to switch off before it makes connection, when I do want to go online the dialling panel then comes up showing the automatic
dial box ticked, I uncheck it , but the next day when I switch on again I have to go through same procedure because the box has got the tick in again. Any ideas.

Kitz E Kat 21:02 28 Aug 2003

You could have a virus, do a scan and check if that dont throw up nothin , you could also, check the start up list, using CTRL>alt>del and check the processes,do a google search for any process your 'iffy' about...

Hope this helps
Yours
Kitz E

terryp96 21:07 28 Aug 2003

Hi Kitz E I've run Norton and AVG and they don't report any virus. What do you mean 'check the processes' after using c alt d.

Kitz E Kat 21:34 28 Aug 2003

When you c alt d you will see a tab 'processes'
click on this.

Try this click here, look at the list of running processes on the list and check these at that link,one of these might be the culprit.

Yours
Kitz E

terryp96 21:49 29 Aug 2003

Hi Kitz, my Ctrl-Alt -Del brings up a panel 'Close program' with no tabs at all to press.It just closes programmes down, are you running ME.

woodchip 22:04 29 Aug 2003

Go to start/run type MSCONFIG and have a look to see what is running at start. You should look in startup tab there is a tick in boxes that are running at startup, if you remove a tick it stopes it starting, but you can restart it if you want to

Jean-Luc Picard 22:15 29 Aug 2003

As Woodchip alludes to an application that requires Internet access is causing the dial up. You could also check your Statup folder using the following method. Right slick the start tab in you taskbar and select open to bring up the start menu. Double cick the programs folder and then open the startup folder which will probably be one of a number of choices. Remove any applications from this folder that require internet access.

terryp96 22:53 29 Aug 2003

thanks everyone will have a go tomorrow, just had a quick look and see that 'Bigfix' is there, if I delete it can I put it back later

woodchip 22:57 29 Aug 2003

Delete it from where

terryp96 23:03 29 Aug 2003

Hi Woodchip just following Jean -Luc suggestions about whatever is in startup folder that needs a n internet connection

woodchip 23:12 29 Aug 2003

If you use MSCONFIG it will stop it running you have no need to remove from Startup folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone