starting computer up after building it.

georgefarrall 20:16 21 Jun 2008

I have put my new computer togetther and getting all the parts, and I started it up and set up the BIOS: Time date etc. I placed in my official Windows XP disk and it started installing, about half way through it said "error reading or disk, or your disk is not a valid microsoft product" or something along those lines. My dvd-rom drive is fine and my disk is scratchless. I have tried restarting it and doing it again, but now it eventually just goes to a black screen with a white dash flashing repeatidly. What is wrong? and how can i fix this?
Thankyou

grey george 21:23 21 Jun 2008

Sounds very much like a duff disk. You could try copying it on another machine to see if it's all readable.

georgefarrall 21:25 21 Jun 2008

it is a proper microsoft product, so is that possile. does it have copying protection?

grey george 21:46 21 Jun 2008

I only wanted to see if another machine could read all of it and unless you have another machine you wish to install it on (that means wiping out whats all ready on the machine) copying it seems the easiest way. Product activation only comes in to effect once you have a complete and sucessful install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone