Start Up Woes

uskfisherman 11:34 16 Jul 2005

All my start up entries in ms config have disappeared. What do I do please? I run XP Home and do not have system restore enabled.

Terry Brown 12:19 16 Jul 2005

Does your computer start OK.?--Why did you go into msconfig ?.--What problems (if any) are you getting.?.--The solution is boot up keep pressing F8 (or F5) and select 'Last good configeration' or set your PC to boot from CD (bios) and re-load the XP using the same folder as original.
Terry

Jackcoms 12:29 16 Jul 2005

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and so is System Restore.

Assuming you are able to restore your msconfig entries, please also enable System Restore. ;-))

uskfisherman 12:32 16 Jul 2005

Thank you Terry. My PC starts up OK but none of my programmes appear in my task bar. I looked at start up msconfig, and thats when I found all my start up programmes had gone. I tried last known config, but that did not work mainly because the thing does start up I think. I follow what you say about starting with the XP CD but wont that return my PC to its original settings?

uskfisherman 12:36 16 Jul 2005

I should mention that I have Acronis to go back to a previous date but I only want to use this as a last resort. That is why I did not enable System Restore which over the years has given me nothing but trouble.

john-232317 13:55 16 Jul 2005

Just a thought, in ms config, general tab, is load startup items ticked ?

uskfisherman 21:23 16 Jul 2005

Thanks for all your help. I have taken the cowards way out and run Acronis True Image which took all my settings back 5 weeks. In ms config I run selective start up and appparently load start up is non operative. As far as I can see this would apply to a general start up of drivers etc etc. I should not be meddling here because I aint very sure what it is all about!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?