start windows normally doesnt work?

Mit123 11:56 09 Apr 2006

I had accidently turned of the power as my PC was loading up , so then when i turned it back up it has come up in a black screen saying:-

We apologize for the inconvenience , but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might of caused this.
(then it goes on about what to do with the following options)

-Safe mode
-Safe mode with networking
-Safe mode with command prompt
-Last known good configuration(your most recent settings that worked)
-Start windows normally

-----

it give me them options and when i choose start windows normally it restarts and then brings me to the same screen.
I have also tried Last known good configuration, and that brings me to the same screen aswel.
I can start windows in Safe mode but i dont no how that can help.

Is there any way I can get my Winxp S2 to start up in normall mode?
Any ideas will be most helpful. Thanks

pj123 12:15 09 Apr 2006

Let it get to Safe Mode and then shut the computer down as you normally would.

Once shut down wait a few seconds then reboot. It should start OK. If not, post back.

Mit123 12:20 09 Apr 2006

I have tried that and it doesnt work.It just comes back to the same black screen.

rawprawn 12:28 09 Apr 2006

Run a system file check in safe mode. Safe Mode?Start/Run/type sfc /scannow (watch the spacing) you will need your XP CD

pj123 12:28 09 Apr 2006

I don't have XP myself so can't offer too much in the way of help. Have a read of this thread click here and see if the solution given by Fruit Bat /\0/\ works. I assume you are using Win XP?

Mit123 12:35 09 Apr 2006

i am doing the scan thing, but i dont have the xp cd?

Mit123 12:37 09 Apr 2006

opps , i wrote the last thread before even doing it!,, i have put sfc /scannow in run but it flashes the screen and does nothing.

howard63 12:45 09 Apr 2006

try rebooting several times xp has the ability to sort itself out - does not always work though you may have to go into safe mode and run system restore.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:03 09 Apr 2006

"i have put sfc /scannow in run"

sfc /scannow problems
click here

rawprawn 13:20 09 Apr 2006

"i am doing the scan thing, but i dont have the xp cd?"

You can't run a system file check without the XP CD unless you have slipstreamed those files onto your HD

Mit123 18:31 09 Apr 2006

i have tried system restore and then when it restarted it came up to the same black screen.

any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?