Start up warning

Gymy 21:58 11 May 2008

During the last week my pc has started coming up with a message when starting up as follows:

Warning! CPU has been changed. Please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quit!

It then gives some options, one of which is F1 to continue - which I have been choosing. The PC then continues to start up as normal.

I have not knowingly made any changes. Does anyone know what I need to do to stop this?

Thanks

Technotiger 22:00 11 May 2008

Not heard of this before, maybe a glitch in the registry perhaps click here will sort it. But that is only a guess.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:11 11 May 2008

How old is the PC?

Do you switch off at night?

Sounds as if the CMOS battery is dying.

Eric10 10:20 12 May 2008

This happens when the CPU speed/multiplier settings have changed in the CMOS/BIOS just as the message says. Instead of pressing F1 have you actually tried to re-enter the CPU settings and saving them? This can be a symptom of a dying battery as Fruit Bat /\0/\ says.

Gymy 18:03 12 May 2008

My PC is not old at all - I bought it October 2007.

The clock battery did stop working and I had to replace it - I was sent one by the manufacturer and simply opened the case and swapped the new one for the old.

I do switch it off at night.

The problem is intermittent - it didn't do it when I logged on just now.

How should I go about re-entering the CPU settings? - what will these be? I know nothing about these things!

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:43 12 May 2008

remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes and everything will reset to default settings.

or enter BIOS and select the "Load default settings option

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?