Start / Search Fault (Win XP)

Lady Lara 13:27 24 Nov 2004

When I click on Start, then Search the window opens up and the little doggie appears with a speech bubble of instructions. My doggies speech button is like empty and i wondered why this is. I cannot search for files as a result

Anyone please help me?

sfc/scannow just works and gives me no worries etc

Micro-Man 13:51 24 Nov 2004

One possible cure would be to search out Normal.dot (it's a hidden file) and rename it Normal.old and see if that cures the problem. Word will make a new copy so you will have to reset your preferences if this cures the fault. If that does not cure the problem you can delete the new copy of Normal.dot ond rename Normal.old to Normal.dot.

ACOLYTE 13:58 24 Nov 2004

Can you hover the mouse over where the text should be to see if it changes the pointer to a hand,if it does you could try changeing the dog for somthing else.

Lady Lara 14:03 24 Nov 2004

This is an Win XP problem not a Word thing unless what you suggest does work for XP as well. Also wher would i find the Normal.dot as i cannot search for it and have to click through the path to get to a document

Lara

ACOLYTE 14:04 24 Nov 2004

Dont know whitch if any will help but,

If you're comfortable with regedit use it and see if you can find the following entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFind

If "NoFind" has the value "01 00 00 00" change it to "00 00 00 00" and it will probably solve your problem. You will need to restart ("log off & log in" will probably suffice).

If that is set ok then you could try
Jscript.dll as in this click here

hope this helps.

VoG II 15:43 24 Nov 2004

click here

However if other windows are blank as well click here

Lady Lara 20:26 24 Nov 2004

Sorry for delay.

I tried the Regeduit key but it was not there. I then tried the JScript.dll and all now works. Also fixed my earlier post of Windows Media player so thanks very much

Lara

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?