start up probs

IMAGEDKTR1 22:14 01 Jul 2003

hi there any advice gratefully recieved
pc is an athlon 850 with 64 mb ram and 40 gb h/d
sorry cant expand more as cant get the thing running
on turning pc on keep getting message invalid disc (and no there is no disc in floppy drive)
will not boot past this
in desperation the h/d was fdisked formatted and a fresh install of both win 98se and win 2k pro was tried
with former the system would not recognise the cd drive and load win 98
in the second it loaded all of the 4 floppies then came up with the blue screen basically saying no way! (in about 60 randomly selected letters and numbers)
any advice would be nice
i was of the opinion that maybes the boot sector of the bios was corrupt somehow but as there are no markings on the mobo i cant even flash it !
help!

daxian 22:31 01 Jul 2003

hi imagedktr1,
i take it it will boot up useing a floppy ?
it sounds like the hard drive is not functioning
properly .
try booting with the floppy and then use fdisk/mbr see if that sorts it ...

VoG II 22:35 01 Jul 2003

If you are getting a "STOP" error message then the error codes are not random - they are a clue as to what has happened. Please post the exact error message.

woodchip 22:36 01 Jul 2003

Try this it may work, start with Win98 Floppy disc at A:\> type FDISK/MBR then reboot

IMAGEDKTR1 22:36 01 Jul 2003

wont boot up at all
with or without floppy and if you read the original post you will see that the drive has been f disked and formatted and the problem now seems to be getting an o/s onto the hard drive full stop

IMAGEDKTR1 22:41 01 Jul 2003

what is this command?
i know and have used fdisk many times what does this do?

DieSse 22:41 01 Jul 2003

A slightly clearer explanation please.

You fdisked and formatted OK?

Did you format the drive with NTFS for Win2000?

You loaded Win98 OK or not?

What 4 floppies are you talking about? There should only be 1.

Invalid System disk means it is either reading the wrong drive, or you hard drive is not set up correctly.

Slow down, go back to square one, fdisk and reformat the hard drive with the Win98 boot disk, then try and install Win98.

woodchip 22:43 01 Jul 2003

MBR will fix the master boot record

DieSse 22:44 01 Jul 2003

fdisk /mbr - note the correct spacing - rewrites certain areas of the master boot record, where corruption, dual boot information, disk management information, and/or a boot virus, might be affecting you.

IMAGEDKTR1 22:44 01 Jul 2003

sseing as you think there is only one floppy for win 2k i think i,ll skip your advice thanks anyway

VoG II 22:46 01 Jul 2003

What is the exact error message?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?