Start up problemsWin 98SE

Big B 13:15 08 Nov 2003

Hello I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the problem when booting up my m/c.
I am running win 98se 512mb ram, ge-force ti 4600 graphic card on a Qdi Platinix 2D-533 m/board this problem does not happen every time i boot up perhaps 1 in 3 times ,on boot up all is well until I arrive at my desktop then sometimes I have no icons in the taskbar and the hourglass spins constantly and the whole m/c locks up even Control Alt Delete does not work I have to resort to the reset button then the m/c may boot up no problem
Any suggestions anyone
heres hoping

? ???K??M? 13:28 08 Nov 2003

Well it might be some thing that is starting when windows does,so when you do boot goto start/run type msconfig in the run box and un tick 1 at a time then resart and see if it does it can be time consuming if you have a lot to start at boot up but it should tell you what the problem is.

Regards.

gold 47 14:03 08 Nov 2003

Your running a lot of ram for W98 i ran 364mb when i ran W98 never locked up.

woodchip 15:30 08 Nov 2003

Download Bla.exe from hear click here Then start computer and keep pressing F8 until you can get the safe mode list choose create a boot file then when you get into windows run the above program by double click on the .exe file and have a look at what is lowing your computer down at boot

? ???K??M? 15:35 08 Nov 2003

Long way of doing what windows does anyway lol

Big B 16:03 08 Nov 2003

Thanks for those suggestions I will work through them

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?