start up problems/black screen.

alibob1526 17:16 15 Jul 2010

I have a Dell dimension 2400 running xp professional with an original 40gb hard drive C:& a 320 gb hard drive D:. When I start my computer a black screen appears with the following details,-
(bios version ao5. primary drive 1 not found. secondary drive 0 not found. secondary drive 1 not found. press f1 to continue f2 for setup.) sometimes when f1 is pressed I get a list starting with win xp professional, then several Ubunto's, then xp professional again when I press the first xp my programs load up. Other times it takes several attemps pressing CTRL,ALT & Delete before it starts. On these occasions I get (grub loading stage 1.5, & sometimes error 21. Could anyone explain this and help to resolve this problem.
PS How do I post a thank you to people who reply?

MAT ALAN 18:32 15 Jul 2010

How do I post a thank you to people who reply?

on the back of a blank cheque normally...

error message has the atributes of a dead HDD, but has been known to be resolved by a BIOS reset...

tullie 19:06 15 Jul 2010

Just post any thanks in the thread

Ex plorer 16:41 16 Jul 2010

You say you have a dell with XP, You must also have
a Version of Ubuto loaded as well as XP.
Which is your prime OS.

canarieslover 18:36 16 Jul 2010

Quite often a failure to recognise the hard drives is due to the motherboard battery needing replacement. This causes the bios to lose settings. Look for the silver flat battery on the motherboard , normally a CR2032, and replace it. They are usually available in £1 shops, or pay around £3 for one in Boots.

Ex plorer 19:16 16 Jul 2010

Hope I am reading your thread correctly but it sounds as though you have a boot loader screen in front of you.

(sometimes when f1 is pressed I get a list starting with win xp professional, then several Ubunto's, then XP professional again when I press the first XP my programs load up.)

Ubuntu is a linux based operating system.

Is there a count down timer on the screen usually starting from 30 seconds, this gives anyone the time to choose between two Operating systems on one computer as I think you have a version of Ubuntu on the PC as well as as XP.
What happens if you let the count down run down to zero what happens then?.

Or am I miss reading your thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?