Start up problems checking nvram?

So Afraid 19:18 06 Dec 2007

The pc boots into windows then the screen goes black and i have to turn off the pc.When i start up again the first page displays a line, checking nvram update ok,the last ram update was 9 months ago.The pc can run ok after that.

So Afraid 19:28 06 Dec 2007

Forgot to say, the first time i boot up it says checking nvram [without update ok].

SANTOS7 19:34 06 Dec 2007

if it's hanging at the 'checking NVRAM' (Non Volatile RAM ~aka~ CMOS memory) that is indicative of a problem with the CMOS memory or perhaps some other hardware issue. Sometimes it can be beneficial to remove the system memory and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser to remove any (possible) oxide - also ensure that no dust or debris resides in the RAM slots themselves (a small paintbrush can be helpful). Another thing to try would be to go to the CMOS setup and see if there is an option to 'reset configuration data' or 'force update ESCD' (or similar).

If all that fails it maybe the modules themselves

click here

you may need to test your memory the prog in the link will help...

So Afraid 20:03 06 Dec 2007

I have done a memtest+ and after 19 passes there were no errors.Could it be cmos battery is dying,although the pc is only 13 months old.

SANTOS7 20:08 06 Dec 2007

For what a new one cost £3:50 or so it may resolve your issue...

So Afraid 20:25 06 Dec 2007

Ok worth a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?