start up problems?

fire 13:02 16 Oct 2003

i have xp2000 running xp pro all was well until i had to change heatsink and fan. all worked well till this morning when xp froze on start up after a couple of restarts ive got to desktop but graphics are poor and i have RUNDLL errror stating:error loading c:\windows\system32\nvcpl.dll. a couple of times the pc shutdown on its own 5 secs after switching on but i removed 2of the 3 sticks of ram......any help please

spikeychris 14:00 16 Oct 2003

Boot into safe mode, ie: hit F8 at startup

If you have the instalation disk, bang it in the drive..

Click the Start button.

Click Run.

Type cmd

Click the OK

Type

sfc /scannow

Press <Enter>

Reboot your system.

woodchip 14:09 16 Oct 2003

Your problem seem's to have been created by your own actions. So I would be inclined to backtrack on what you did above. I.E fan and heatsink

fire 14:55 16 Oct 2003

when you say installation disk do you mean xp or the graphics card disc...cheers spikey

woodchip 14:57 16 Oct 2003

XP disc not recovery disc

fire 15:05 16 Oct 2003

ive tried that as administrator but i get the followin:windows file system could not initiate a scan of protected file system. the specific error code is0x000006ba the rpc server is unavailable.
i have also tried booting from xp cd so as to format everything but i get to screen where there are 3 prompts and i cant choose any as keyboard is no responding......p)))))ed off and stuck...

mtall 15:11 16 Oct 2003

Microsoft Windows XP. Try restore. From sart>programs>accessories>systemtools and then backup.Chose a day which you think your computer was running ok. that is before the problem you're having now. Restore from this point. If your problem is not a hardware problem, I think you'll be able to get your system to its normal state.
Good luck.

btall

woodchip 15:13 16 Oct 2003

Have you a USB keyboard if you have go int BIOS and make sure that Keyboard USB is enabled. Or try a PS/2 keyboard

fire 15:23 16 Oct 2003

tried sys restore but on restart it hangs at xp pro logo screen i think i will bite the bullet and knock it down if i could.....could it be a duff graphics card?

woodchip 15:25 16 Oct 2003

Doubt it if it worked before

fire 15:42 16 Oct 2003

right if i press restart button and i start windows normally it hangs but if i go to last known configuration then i get a desktop but only at 4 bit resolution????????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?