Start up Problem

roundhead123 12:33 09 Jan 2003
  roundhead123 12:33 09 Jan 2003

I have a Packard Bell IPower 1475 running Windows ME with Pen 4. Recently I installed some extra memory - going up from 128 to 512 and since then, whenever I start the pc - the screen hangs on the Packard-Bell logo. If I then press the power button and shut off the power, followed by switching on the power again almost immediately, it starts up normally. Can anyone please explain what's going on ? I checked in the control panel for power settings and they are all set to "never" - ie never hibernate etc.
TIA
John

Old PC man 14:13 09 Jan 2003

It could be that you HDD is slow to start. If your BIOS settings call for the HDD to be checked first for operating system then it may not be spinning fast enough for the o/s to be loaded.

Try setting the floppy to be checked first, followed by the HDD. If this works then you need to have the HDD serviced or look to buying a new one and keep the old as a slave.

John.

roundhead123 15:15 09 Jan 2003

Old PC Man:
Thanks for your reply - How do I check BIOS settings and how do I change them - I can't remember ever having done anything with BIOS !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?