Start up problem

peterleemaxwell 22:27 26 Jun 2008

After showing no signs of anything wrong when I last closed down I went to start my desktop with Win XP pro O.S. Goes through all the bits until it gets to "to begin click on your user name'. There are two choices both have the same result.
States 'Loading personal settings'. There is then a brief look at the desktop picture (2 secs.)no icons then it goes back to the login screen and logs off. Has anyone had this happen to them and could suggest a fix? Thanks

skidzy 23:13 26 Jun 2008

Maybe boot into safemode and try system restore to a time all was working ok.Sorry for the quick reply,now off to bed,will pop in tomorrow to see how you are getting on.

peterleemaxwell 23:40 26 Jun 2008

Hi skidzy,
I tried what you suggested and there was an extra login for the administrator as well as my own two.
All 3 had the same result. Logs on and then logs off.
Is it disaster?

rdave13 00:17 27 Jun 2008

Try 'last known good configuration' Tap F8 (F5 on some PCs) to get Windows Advanced Options window.

peterleemaxwell 09:07 27 Jun 2008

Hello rdave13,
Got to that screen and tried 'last known good configuration' only to find the same result. I have never had this problem before. Is there any solution? Could it be a virus? I have Avast working along with AVG and zonealarm.

Technotiger 09:12 27 Jun 2008

Hmm, Avast and AVG - I hope that does not mean you are running two Anti-virus programs, 'cos that is a big NO NO!

If you are running both as Anti-virus you must get rid of one of them - perhaps un-install one in Safe Mode.

peterleemaxwell 12:29 27 Jun 2008

Technotiger thanks for the tip. The avast is a constant runner on the PC and the AVG is not as it's a freebie it only works when started. I therefore use this very seldom just as a backup. I would love to get into the PC even in safe mode!

birdface 13:22 27 Jun 2008

Maybe try downloading Firefox and see if it works on there.If on IE7 and you have not updated to SP3 you could remove IE7 and go back to IE6 see if that works.

Technotiger 13:29 27 Jun 2008

My Free AVG is running all the time, not just when I do a scan! So I would still advise you to get rid of your AVG, I think you may have the wrong idea about anti-virus programs.

PO79 13:32 27 Jun 2008

Have you considered restarting in safe mode with command prompt and running a system restore from there click here for details.

robert01 13:47 27 Jun 2008

Just got the same thing on my laptop and windows xp. A message at startup saying the computer did not shut down properly with the option to start windows as normal / last good config / safe mode. No matter what option I choose it crashes at windows xp loading screen and starts again. There is a blue screen message that appears for a nanosecond that I cannot read. Everything was fine yesterday have not loaded or changed anything - perhaps caused by a auto update of windows xp or avg ? I say this because when I started my other computer today I also got the message about it not shutting down properly with the option to load as normal and this one ( vista ) is ok

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?