Start Up Problem

svenonius 12:44 27 Jun 2007

I’m hoping somebody on here will be able to help.

I’ve got a Packard Bell Easynote Laptop which has decided its going to stop working. On turning the laptop on the initial Packard Bell screen appears, but no more than that. There is also a bar at the bottom of the screen that says to press F2 to enter Bios setup or F12 to Boot on Network. If I press either of the keys it has no effect, the same Packard Bell logo and message remain on my screen.

Can anybody help?

Thanks!

recap 12:55 27 Jun 2007

If you can boot in to safe mode, check the event viewer for any errors. Run a virus check on the system also.

rawprawn 12:59 27 Jun 2007

Can you boot from your XP CD. You may have to change the boot order in BIOS

svenonius 14:04 27 Jun 2007

I'll give it a whirl, but I do have the problem that none of the keys appear to be doing anything.

rawprawn 15:10 27 Jun 2007

Hit F2 to go into BIOS, and use your up and down keys to move the marker the save and exit when you have boot from cd as first choice.

rawprawn 15:12 27 Jun 2007

You didn't say if you can get into safe mode as per recap suggestion. Keep tapping F8 as you are booting.

svenonius 15:50 27 Jun 2007

Thanks for your help rawprawn. I cant get into bios as, despite the message on screen, pressing F2 does absolutely nothing. Nothing I have done has gotten a response from the laptop, but I will see if F8 has anny effect.

rawprawn 15:56 27 Jun 2007

Try just putting you CD in and then reboot, it might work!

xania 16:07 27 Jun 2007

I agree with rawprawn. It is possibly a hardware probl;em, but more likely the system is having trouble loading windows and using your CD to run a repair could do the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?