Start Up Problem

carper 10:39 24 Feb 2005

I keep getting a fault during start up which is becoming worse. When I switch on there is a series of clicks as though the hard drive cannot connect and then I get the message Operating system not found. If I press F8 I get the message repeated a number of times. I sometimes need to start afresh a number of times before it boots. Also when I switch off it starts up again on its own and will then switch off after about ten seconds. As I say it getting worse and I am getting desperate. Any Help please. I
am running XP Home SP2 Thanks.

curlylad 11:44 24 Feb 2005

Certain things we can try here ,

1)This could be a loose ribbon cable connecting your hard drive to the motherboard , make sure it is connected properly.

2)Your BIOS may not be recognising HD , some settings may need altering but I am not au fait with this so wait for the more technically minded to help you out there.

3)If it is indeed a problem with your O/S then try a repair install click here

Good luck !

carper 14:14 25 Feb 2005

Thanks Curlylad
Problem has gone away very much on its own although I have a suspicion that following a download I was asked by Spybot to allow or not allow. It was something regarding a start up entry in the Registry. When this popped up again I didn't allow it so it looks like it was that or just coincidence. Thanks anyway Regards Carper

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?