start menu....missing links

helmetshine 12:55 22 Jun 2003

When i click on start my most recently used programs are missing...the pinned ones are ok,as are all the links on the right hand panel.i'm using xp home with SP1.I know it's not a disasterous problem...just annoying me tho

jazzypop 13:02 22 Jun 2003

Right-click your Start buttom, click Properties.

Make sure the 'Start Menu' option is selected, then choose Customize. Then change the number in the 'number of programs on STart menu' options, click Apply / OK

helmetshine 13:13 22 Jun 2003

Thanks for the quick reply jazzypop...unfortunately thats hasn't made any difference,still got the same problem.Just for info the number was set at 6 and i changed it to 10.

jazzypop 13:33 22 Jun 2003

Follow the same procedure as above, but make sure that 'small icons' is selected (above where you choose the number of programs to be listed).

Try removing a couple of the pinned ones - I seem to recall that there is a maximum number of pinned, MRU and linked (14?). Right-clcik them and choose unpinned.

These links will explain the Registry keys that affect programs being displayed in the Start menu - click here click here

jazzypop 13:58 22 Jun 2003

You may have installed / run a tweaking utility that has altered two Registry settings.

As the explanation at click here says, open regedit, navigate to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] and look for a key named NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList

This value should be set to 0 (zero) to enable the recently-used list, or as I suspect yours is, to 1 to disable it.

Repeat for [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

helmetshine 14:15 22 Jun 2003

Looked in both those places...don't even seem to have that key

jazzypop 14:37 22 Jun 2003

If you create the key in those locations, and set the value to 0, you should find that all is well again.

Be very careful to create them exactly as per the instructions on the Winguides site. I recommend that you cut and paste from the Winguides site, to make sure that the names are identical.

As always, backup your Registry before editing it.

helmetshine 18:49 22 Jun 2003

Sorry about the delay in anwsering(went to the pub...gotta get your priorities right),edited the registry as you suggested,still no change tho.Guess i'll have to live with it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?