Start menu and system transfer

COUCHER 17:46 21 Mar 2006

First I'm having probs with loading programs, I keep getting box saying 'The way this system is set up you are barred from running this program,see Administrator. I don't know why the pc is starting up like this but to make matters worse I've lost both 'Run' and 'Control Panel' from the start menu and can't find it any where else so I can't alter the set up. Has anyone any ideas as to how I can get them back.
Second the SMART on my hard drive is telling me the drive is going to totally fail soon so I've got me a new HD can anyone recomend a prog for transfering everything from the old drive to the new one. I used to have 'Ghost' but it came with win95 and probably won't work on a 250 giga HD
Thanks
(You'll never see what I'll get you for Christmas)

VoG II 17:53 21 Mar 2006

Right click Task bar, Properties, Start Menu, Customise button, Advanced tab, tick Run and Control Panel.

Harpur 17:57 21 Mar 2006

firstly it would appear that you are not set as an administrator and that is why you can't load programs. thus the message "see administrator". to check your status on the system go to control panel/user acounts and see what comes up against your name . there will probably be 2 settings:- administrator and limited user. i suspect you may be the latter.

secondly there is a program called "transfer my pc" it comes with software as well as the required cabling to do the task. it retails somewhere around £39.00

rawprawn 17:58 21 Mar 2006

I would suggest Acronis True Image as a backup or clone to transfer,click here
The only thing I can suggest to corect any system file problems if you can't get Run, is cmd prompt in dos and type sfc /scannow (watch the space) you will need your XP CD.

COUCHER 01:45 22 Mar 2006

Harpur thats one of the problems I can't get to the control panel to re-set the system. VoG thanks but Run and Control Panel is not in there either and I can't find it anywhere in the system. I also tried rawprawn's way in DOS but I've updated to SP2 and it won't read my XP disk which is SP1 (A newer version of XP is already installed) I've re-run XP as a repair but that didn't work.
Its looking more like having to format and reload XP from new but I have 48giga of progs to reaload if I do and I'm not looking forward to a week or so of that. I'm waiting to go in hospital and I'll probably be in there before I get through that lot.
Thanks again.
Dan

Harpur 09:29 22 Mar 2006

have you tried accessing the control panel through my computer. it is listed under others

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?