START UP MENU PROBLEM.

blackpat 16:28 11 Oct 2006

Hi all, i went to start up menu (msconfig) and unchecked some of the start up programmes. I was very carefull and only unchecked things i understood, like winamp etc.but everytime I boot up windows, a box come up telling me that I am in diagnostic or selective mode and to to select normal startup, if i hit ok, all the programmes I unchecked comes back on start up, if I just close the box hitting the x and carry on and go on line, my computer seems very slow. Whats the use of having the uncheck facility on the startup menu if they won't let you use it? or am I doing something wrong? At the moment I have everything back on start up. Anybody any ideas?
Blackpat

johnnyrocker 16:31 11 Oct 2006

does it not give you the "do not show this message again" option to tick?

johnny.

Jackcoms 16:32 11 Oct 2006

This will tell you exactly what should run in the background and what can be disabled click here

blackpat 16:53 11 Oct 2006

Yes Johnny, it does show that "do not show this message again" option, but I'm frightened to click it because as i said my computer seems slow.
Jackcoms, I clicked your "click here" and it doesn't go anywhere.
Blackpat

Jackcoms 16:56 11 Oct 2006

Looks like the site is down temporarily. This is the address (without the spaces, of course) click here. org /startuplist.php

Jackcoms 16:58 11 Oct 2006

Not doing very well.

Try again!

http:// www .sysinfo. org /startuplist.php

blackpat 05:05 12 Oct 2006

Jackcoms, I copied and pasted the url you gave me,and put it in the address bar, but it doesn't work.
I'm quite sure that I didn't uncheck anything important in the startup menu, because if I didn't understand what the program was, I didn't uncheck it.
The same thing used to happen on my old computer (I just got a new one). I appreciate your help.
Blackpat

Jackcoms 07:27 12 Oct 2006

Try my click here of 11/10 at 16:32 again.

It's working now.

moorie 07:56 12 Oct 2006

hi if you do what johney rocker states check the tick box it will effect your changes,if you just click ok it will start the same start up programs/services before you made ammendments

blackpat 08:59 14 Oct 2006

Jacksome, Thanks for that site, I saved it to favs and will have a good look at it when I get more time.

Moorie, I checked the box as you suggested and the stuff I didn't want on startup as gone. I seem to have a load of microsoft software on my startup menu, do you know if I need these?
Manythanks to both of you for your help.
Blackpat

moorie 15:33 14 Oct 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?