Start up error

eddiemoose 20:27 14 Apr 2008

When I boot my PC, I get an error message of:- ATI video bios poller client: ati2evxx.exe-Application error. The instruction a "0x7c910f29" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read"

The instruction gives 2 options "OK" or "Cancel" I have clicked both and the box closes and my PC appears to run normal until I reboot and get the same message. Is this a graphics card problem? I am running XP sp2. Any help gratefully accepted.

nyleridedog 20:33 14 Apr 2008

try installing the lastest drivers and utility for you gfx card.

see how that goes.

cheers

MAT ALAN 20:34 14 Apr 2008

ati2evxx.exe is a process installed alongside ATI Display Adapters and provides additional configuration options for these devices. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.
disable it see what happens

Start-Run "Msconfig"
Look in the startup tab, should be able to do it from there...

MAT ALAN 20:37 14 Apr 2008

or..

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services
Right Click "ATI HotKey Poller", select "Properties".
Change "Startup type" to "Disabled".

clock apply click OK......

Terry Brown 20:41 14 Apr 2008

Restart the computer in Option mode (Normally hold down F5 when booting until it beeps), select VGA mode, this will give a very basic low level screen, reload your graphic driver Cd, and re-start. problem should now be cured.
Terry

skidzy 20:48 14 Apr 2008

Reading through google seems to point to a possible buggy driver,however i have read that that renaming ATI2EVXX and DLL in the Windows/system32 folder.
Also disable any relevance in your services and msconfig startup entries and reboot the machine.

To get rid of the notice:

Start -> Run and type

services.msc

and enter

Scroll through to ATI hotkey Poller

Right Click "ATI HotKey Poller", select "Properties".
Change "Startup type" to "Disabled".

Also check in msconfig

Start / run and type

msconfig

and enter

Select startup and remove the ticks from ATI ,apply and ok

Now reboot the machine.

skidzy 20:49 14 Apr 2008

Blimey,i must learn to refresh more often...sorry guys dont mean to post the same ideas.

Hiya Mat me ol mucker :-)

MAT ALAN 20:59 14 Apr 2008

Hey skidz!! me old rap jap flappy. seems to be a couple of resolves here..

Have to say i think i would plump for a clean install of latest graphics card drivers..

eddiemoose 20:12 15 Apr 2008

Disabled as suggested no problem. Loaded latest drivers, No problem. Re-enabled, problem gone. Thanks Guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?