Start a Driver

Big Trev 13:18 21 Aug 2004

Does anybody know how to go into the registry and start a driver?

stalion 13:20 21 Aug 2004

in conection with what? and os please

Big Trev 13:24 21 Aug 2004

Trying to make my Yamaha OPL-SAx soundcard work. The device manager says the driver is enabled but has not been started. Further investigation seems to indicate this starting is done in the registry. Am I right?

The OS is XP Sp1.

Thanks.

VoG II 13:29 21 Aug 2004

Look in Administrative Tools/Services (not registry).

Big Trev 13:41 21 Aug 2004

Any idea which entry the sound card would come under?

stalion 13:58 21 Aug 2004

go to start,control panel,system,hardware,device manager,sound video andgames controllers,select your soundcard and then drivers.try re-loading your driver

Big Trev 14:03 21 Aug 2004

I've already uninstalled and reinstalled the device several times. I'll try again though!

stalion 14:05 21 Aug 2004

have you just installed this soundcard?

Big Trev 14:07 21 Aug 2004

Tried it again but the computer still won't acknowledge it has a sound card. I'm tearing my hair out!

stalion 14:20 21 Aug 2004

don't tear your hair out you only get one lot!
need to know if this is a new soundcard and if your motherboard has a built in one already

Big Trev 14:21 21 Aug 2004

Sorry, I missed the "have you just installed..." question.
No, the soundcard was installed and working for years - at least two of them under XP. It's a long story but I installed SP2 and flashed my BIOS recently (silly, I know) and, although the soundcard worked after that, it suddenly stopped. I have reinstalled and, although the Device Manager signals all is well, the Audio Device section of the Control Panel says no audio device is installed.
I have tried installing other sound cards but the result is the same, so the hardware isn't faulty.
I have uninstalled SP3, but to no avail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017