Start up definitions

Grambo 09:26 14 Feb 2008

Can anyone point me to a list which tells you what the applications are in start up. I used to use one in PC Review but cannot access that anymore

Technotiger 09:37 14 Feb 2008

Download and install Win Patrol, this will tell you what you want to know, and much more ... click here

Graham. 09:38 14 Feb 2008
  brundle 09:47 14 Feb 2008

Spybot has a list of items and descriptions too

David4637 13:37 14 Feb 2008

Be careful if you decide to delete any start up programs as it is NOT always easy to find out what they do, and this could corrupt the start up sequence and cause BSOD. If you want to do this USE ACRONIS first. David

David4637 13:41 14 Feb 2008

PS Apologies I thought you were referring to msconfig which lists things that happen when windows starts up. If you were referring to ms config then my warning above applies.David

mfletch 14:12 14 Feb 2008

Hi,

Download a-squared HiJackFree

click here

And run it then click on Auto Runs and click on Registry,

It will give you a list of your startup programs,

To get more info just click on one of the programs and it will give you more info at the bottom of the page,

mfletch

Quiet Life 14:39 14 Feb 2008

msconfig From my experience there is no harm in unticking all the start up programs. If Windows need them they will comeback as will any programs which you use and are designed to come back on restart.
Clearly your anti virus should remain ticked.
I think that you will find other forum members have the same experience of this and there is no harm done by unticking all items.

Grambo 17:27 15 Feb 2008

This is the guide I had in mind

click here

Thanks to all for help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?