Start Up & Connection Problems

aj150 11:34 05 Dec 2005

I have 2 problems which are possibly linked:
1) When the PC is closed down but still on at the socket it sometimes boots itself up.
2) When the PC is on it will sometimes dial up the ISP all by itself. To connect you need to enter a password but sometimes it even manages this as well.
I have XP Home with Service pack 2 installed.

DieSse 11:45 05 Dec 2005

1) When the PC is closed down but still on at the socket it sometimes boots itself up.

This can be caused by BIOS settings, which allow various events (such as the 'phone ringing) to wake up the system. Go into the BIOS and disable all *wake-up* events.

2) When the PC is on it will sometimes dial up the ISP all by itself.

Some programs can cause this - even legitimate ones such as AV programs trying to do an update. However some malware can cause it too. So check for viruses with an up-to-date AV program, and check for malware (rogue diallers in particular) with Adaware and Spybot.

aj150 12:34 05 Dec 2005

DieSse,
Thanks for your reply but how do I get into the BIOS settings?
Have used Adaware & Spybot for a long time so am fairly confident it isn't a rogue dialer.

DieSse 12:37 05 Dec 2005

When th system starts, during the *text* part of the startup, you would normally keep pressing the Del key.

Or check in your system manual.

woodchip 12:58 05 Dec 2005

As above it looks like you have a Drone

aj150 17:41 05 Dec 2005

Help!!!!
The more I get into this the more inadequate I get. I went into BIOS and couldn't find the wake up events listed under any of the headings. can I have more info please on how to find it.
Next, what is a drone and if it's harmful how do find it and then get rid of it?

woodchip 19:27 05 Dec 2005

Phone home Program

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?