Start button not working & antivirus problems

Addie 10:21 04 Nov 2008

My son switched on his PC last evening and it started a run through of text on screen - I only saw some of the text and it seemed to refer to the Chk Disk. Once this had finished he thought all looked well with the PC, but he found that the Start Button refused to work at all.Trying to do a virus scan on the off chance that was the problem (he says it is set to do a scan daily anyway), it too wasn't working. He uses the AVG free version. He then managed to uninstall the AVG but once it was reinstalled the AVG interface was flagged in red and said the the antivirus couldn't be installed. He has gone off to school today hoping I can fix it all for him! Help please!

birdface 10:27 04 Nov 2008

[He then managed to uninstall the AVG ]I assume that you can start the computer.Maybe try a system restore to a time when computer was working Ok.

Addie 10:30 04 Nov 2008

I have tried that and unfortunately to no avail. Button still not working.

birdface 10:32 04 Nov 2008

AVG removal tool.click here should remove it completely.Then try reinstalling it.Or if you do a system restore it will probably still be on there so there would be no reason to reinstall it.

Addie 10:39 04 Nov 2008

Thanks for that. Will have to go and try it for him if I can get any pages up! Don't suppose you know why the Start Button shouldn't be working do you?

birdface 10:41 04 Nov 2008

Does it light up at all at or near the switch button.

Addie 10:42 04 Nov 2008

no, nothing at all

birdface 10:46 04 Nov 2008

Sorry just trying to help until someone else came on.When you press the button is there any noise of it at all.Any lights that would at least tell us the power is working.

birdface 10:49 04 Nov 2008

Maybe he has pressed the off switch at the back of the computer by mistake,It should be where the power socket plugs into the back.Or maybe it has been dislodged and is needing pushed in again.Make sure the switch on the electric socket is switched on.If all of those try another power lead or a new fise.

birdface 10:50 04 Nov 2008

Fuse.

Addie 10:51 04 Nov 2008

I think we are slightly at odds here LOL, I mean the start button on the bottom left hand side of the screen rather than the one for booting up. When you click it (Vista) and you usually get the pop list to get to the rest of the software programs etc, it does nothing at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone