start Button

highside 15:34 26 Feb 2011

I installed updates 24.2.11 as per Win Upgrade message.
All was well until today when win Repair told me that there was a problem caused by the latest Win Upgrade and Win Silverlight. Repair ran and
it suggested a System restore - but I cannot control anything as althought the Start Globe seems active ie it brightens when the mouse hovers over it, clicking it does nothing at all.
Some program icons do work to an extent but there is no naming text underneath them just icons.
Safe mode is even worse no response to anything.
Is there any other way to get a start menu so I can attempt a restore.
Samsung R60 laptop Win 7 32bit (upgrade from Vista which has been fine for about a year)
Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:43 26 Feb 2011

Boot from the windows 7 DVD and select system restore from the menu.

highside 16:29 26 Feb 2011

Thanks for reply.
Have a seemingly impossible situation - Got to System restore as you advised, it ran and then told me there was not enough disk space to complete the restore.
ran Repair instead and that told me to do a Restore!!!!
I cant remove anything to gain space because I cant control Start icon.
Goodness knows why a previosly working PC suddenly has not enough space. Do you think SP1 took it? If so I cant uninstall it until I get control back.

highside 17:18 26 Feb 2011

Hello Fruit Bat, resolved problem but even more confused than I normally am.
I highlighted folders on desktop and deleted some to gain space by pressing the del key, ran restore (from DVD as you said) to a point before SP1 (leaving the other recent updates intact) and restore ran perfectly the folders I deleted are all still there and free space on C is 67GB????????
I had also added SP1 to my Win & 64 bit laptop and it is quite happy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone