Start up become lock up - the sequel

Koz 21:16 24 Feb 2004

Raised this problem before and thought it sorted but no.

Using Windows 98SE (or ME but now back on 98SE because I could not shut down ME)start up sometimes locks up the machine just before the desktop appears. Previous advice from the Forum says use 'Registry Mechanic' (Winguides software) and 'Windows Registry Repair' (3 B Software inc). Used these and this software is telling me that my registry has now been repaired and cleaned. Before this I ran msconfig and made changes by trial and error. Back to square one and a little poorer for buying the registry software. Any other ideas to sort this locking problem? HELP!

LastChip 22:06 24 Feb 2004

Boot into Windows. Go Start: Run; and type;

msconfig [OK]

Under the General Tab; Advanced; Tick "Enable Startup Menu", exit and reboot.

When the menu appears, select option 4; Step by Step Confirmation.

You will have to approve every line of the startup sequence, but sooner or later, your machine will freeze, and it is important to note the last operation you approved, because this is the source of your problem.

Almost certainly, it will be a corrupted file or bad driver, but you need to identify which one!

Diodorus Siculus 22:12 24 Feb 2004

Try getting all relevant updates for your OS and for your hardware. Also disable any hardware.

Koz 22:52 24 Feb 2004

LastChip,

Thanks for the thoughts

Just tried Enable Start Up and there were no problems - my machine did not freeze. I was not suprised about this because sometimes the machine starts up just fine and dandy. Othertime I either get a 'blue screen of death' or my wallpaper being shown with little green lines at the top of the screen and a lock out.

Any other ideas?

Koz 22:54 24 Feb 2004

Diodorus Siculus,

Tried something similar. A few months back I was on ME with all the updates for this OS and still has the problem. I was forced to regress to 98SE when ME decided that it never wanted to close down again.

Any other ideas?

LastChip 23:19 24 Feb 2004

Try this.

First, go to Windows Explorer; Tools; Folder Options; View; and select "Show Hidden Files and Folders".

Now find the following;

pnpwppt.inf
drvwppqt.vxd
drvwq117.vxd

Re-name each extension .old

These files are only used for a backup tape drive and are a known problem in '98.

Also, if your motherboard has a VIA chip-set, make sure the drivers are up to date.

That may help.

LastChip 23:21 24 Feb 2004

pnpwppt.inf

drvwppqt.vxd

drvwq117.vxd

Koz 19:49 25 Feb 2004

LastChip,

Thanks for the extra help

Made the changes as suggested and no problems so far. I run with this for a few days before deciding if things are fixed for good. Fingers crossed.

Koz 22:32 28 Feb 2004

Feels sorted: my sincere thanks.

A new problem has since arisen. Since this felt fixed I decided to move back from 98SE to ME and have new problem: internet access is disabled. Oh well I'll stick with 98SE and trouble free start up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone